Subject: Re: bug#16292: 24.3.50; info docs now contain single straight quotes instead of `'

From: Paul Eggert <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 04 Jan 2014 12:53:26 -0800

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> Date: Sat, 04 Jan 2014 09:50:21 -0800
>> From: Paul Eggert <[email-masked]>
>>
>> Defaulting to ASCII in all platforms would leave the original
>> bug unfixed by default on all installations, causing the
>> regression from `foo' to 'foo' that Drew Adams complained of.
>
> That's not an Emacs problem.  The Texinfo developers decided to make
> that change, and they followed the GNU Coding Standards.  Emacs needs
> to adapt, as the rest of the GNU project did.  If you think this is a
> step backwards

Defaulting to ASCII in all platforms would not be not a Texinfo problem,
as the ASCII transformation in the proposed patch is an Emacs-only hack.
No other package uses it, or is likely to.  Texinfo has an established
method to avoid the regression, namely to use UTF-8 quote symbols, and
Emacs could easily adopt this method, just as other GNU programs have.