Subject: bug#16292: 24.3.50; info docs now contain single straight quotes instead of `'

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 04 Jan 2014 09:45:28 +0200

> From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>,  [email-masked],  [email-masked]
> Date: Sat, 04 Jan 2014 00:18:15 -0500
> 
> Isn't there a way other than modifying the file to tell Texinfo that
> the encoding is utf-8?

No, not if you want makeinfo to put the 'coding' cookie in the file
local variables section of the Info file it produces.
@documentencoding is the way.

> I'd rather not try to be clever here.  E.g. your test will end up using
> ASCII in non-English locales, even though they're just as likely to
> properly handle those Unicode chars.  Just default to no.

I agree.  And using --disable-encoding is a simpler way of achieving
that, as it doesn't need any postprocessing.

> > This feels like a new feature, so I'm somewhat inclined to leave this
> > stuff alone in the trunk until after the feature freeze is over.
> 
> Agreed.

If so, we should at least fix the handful of manuals that already use
"@documentencoding utf-8", or use non-ASCII characters without any
@documentencoding, thus producing Info files that might display
incorrectly in certain locales.