Subject: Re: bug#16292: 24.3.50; info docs now contain single straight quotes instead of `'

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 04 Jan 2014 09:41:33 +0200

> Date: Fri, 03 Jan 2014 16:07:32 -0800
> From: Paul Eggert <[email-masked]>
> CC: [email-masked], [email-masked]
> 
> Stefan Monnier wrote:
> 
> >    I think we're pretty close to the point where ‘ and ’
> >    can be assumed to work "everywhere", but we're not quite there yet.
> >    But I'd hope that Debian builds would not follow that default and
> >    would tell make info to use things like ‘ and ’ since these chars
> >    should pretty much always work in a Debian system.
> 
> OK, attached is a patch to implement that suggestion, with the proviso
> that the default is to use curly quotes on Debian-like systems where
> UTF-8 support seems ubiquitous, and to use ASCII quotes elsewhere.

Thanks.

However, I don't like system-specific defaults, and I think a
configure-time option to change this is a nuisance.

I think we should use --disable-encoding instead, and do it by
default.  People who want Unicode quotes and other special characters
can always override that by specifying non-default MAKEINFO_OPTS at
"make info" time.