Subject: Re: bug#16292: 24.3.50; info docs now contain single straight quotes instead of `'

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 Jan 2014 16:52:01 -0500

>> That's not likely.  The general consensus seems to be that
>> Emacs should just use whatever Texinfo produces by default.
> We didn't hear from Stefan yet.  This isn't a democracy.

I'm not sure I understand all of the things discussed.
My position is as follows:
- I'd rather use Texinfo defaults, of course, to the extent that they
  work OK for Emacs.
- We should feel free to use Unicode chars (in utf-8 encoding) in .texi files
  (and utf-8 should be the default encoding, so there's no need to
  specify it explicitly in the file).
- Those Unicode chars should be preserved in the .info files (i.e. Info
  files should also use utf-8).
- The chars introduced by "makeinfo" itself should stick to ASCII for
  now by default.  I think we're pretty close to the point where ‘ and ’
  can be assumed to work "everywhere", but we're not quite there yet.
  But I'd hope that Debian builds would not follow that default and
  would tell make info to use things like ‘ and ’ since these chars
  should pretty much always work in a Debian system.

        Stefan