Subject: bug#16283: closed (Re: bug#16283: 24.2; Built-in function * , used for calculating product, gives wrong output)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 28 Dec 2013 18:53:02 +0000

Your bug report

#16283: 24.2; Built-in function * , used for calculating product, gives wrong output

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
16283: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=16283
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#16283: 24.2; Built-in function * , used for calculating product, gives wrong output
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Mohammed Sami <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 28 Dec 2013 20:52:02 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> From: Mohammed Sami <[email-masked]>
> Date: Sat, 28 Dec 2013 23:45:38 +0530
> 
> After starting window Emacs with "emacs -q", when I evaluate (* 1024 1024
> 1024 1024), I get 0.
> (* 1024 1024) works correctly, but repeating '1024' more than two times
> gives wrong value.

A 32-bit build of Emacs cannot correctly do integer math beyond the
value of most-positive-fixnum, whose value is 536870911.  This is a
fundamental limitation of Emacs Lisp, not a bug.

You can work around this bu using floating-point numbers:

  (* 1024.0 1024.0 1024.0) => 1073741824.0

Closing.

Subject: 24.2; Built-in function * , used for calculating product, gives wrong output
From: Mohammed Sami <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 28 Dec 2013 23:45:38 +0530
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Please describe exactly what actions triggered the bug, and
the precise symptoms of the bug.  If you can, give a recipe
starting from `emacs -Q':

After starting window Emacs with "emacs -q", when I evaluate (* 1024 1024
1024 1024), I get 0.
(* 1024 1024) works correctly, but repeating '1024' more than two times
gives wrong value.

In GNU Emacs 24.2.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2012-08-29 on MARVIN
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
Configured using:
 `configure --with-gcc (4.6) --cflags
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libXpm-3.5.8/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libXpm-3.5.8/src
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libpng-dev_1.4.3-1/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/zlib-dev_1.2.5-2/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/giflib-4.1.4-1/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/jpeg-6b-4/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/tiff-3.8.2-1/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/gnutls-3.0.9/include'

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: ENU
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: cp1252
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
C-x b s c <return> M-< M-> ( * SPC 1 0 2 4 SPC 1 0
2 4 SPC 1 0 2 4 SPC 1 0 2 4 ) C-u C-x C-e <help-echo>
<return> M-x r e p o r t <tab> <return>

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Mark set [2 times]

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message format-spec rfc822 mml
easymenu mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail regexp-opt rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils time-date tooltip ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel dos-w32 disp-table ls-lisp w32-win
w32-vars tool-bar dnd fontset image fringe lisp-mode register page
menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer loaddefs
button faces cus-face files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64
format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote make-network-process multi-tty emacs)