Subject: bug#16274: closed (Re: bug#16274: 24.3.50; Error in post-command-hook (icomplete-post-command-hook): (invalid-function ("..." ...)))

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2017 15:26:02 +0000

Your bug report

#16274: 24.3.50; Error in post-command-hook (icomplete-post-command-hook): (invalid-function ("..." ...))

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
16274: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=16274
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#16274: 24.3.50; Error in post-command-hook (icomplete-post-command-hook): (invalid-function ("..." ...))
From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
To: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Cc: "Charles A. Roelli" <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2017 10:25:43 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

>> All good.  Thanks to both of you for looking into this.

Thanks, installed,

        Stefan

Subject: 24.3.50; Error in post-command-hook (icomplete-post-command-hook): (invalid-function ("..." ...))
From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 27 Dec 2013 21:52:13 -0800 (PST)
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

I believe I reported long ago (in the Emacs 24 cycle, IIRC) that I
occasionally get this error.  This is still the case.  The value it
complains about not being a function is a list of completions (strings),
which each have text property `face' with values
`completions-common-part' and `(completions-first-difference)' (a list).

I haven't been able to see where in the code this error could occur.  I
have noticed it being raised with my setup (icomplete+.el).  Dunno
whether it occurs also in emacs -Q.

FWIW, my code does not even reference `icomplete-post-command-hook'
explicitly, and it does not use those particular faces explicitly.

I also have not been able to find the code that issues that error
message.  Perhaps it is in some C code - the latest C code I have is for
Emacs 24.3.

A wild guess about this is that the list of completions is the cached
value in variable `completion-all-sorted-completions'.  And perhaps in
code like this:

(completion-try-completion name comps nil (length name) md)

Maybe COMPS here (which is the value of
`completion-all-sorted-completions') is somehow expected to be a
function?  Does this ring a bell for anyone?  Just poking in the dark.
Dunno how to debug this better.  The error message does not stop
execution, being on `post-command-hook'.  It just flashes ephemerally
and then I can find it in `*Messages*'.

And, again, it seems that this happens just once in a while.

If this info does not help at all, feel free to close the bug.  Or leave
it open, for future reference.  It has been there for a while now.

In GNU Emacs 24.3.50.1 (i686-pc-mingw32)
 of 2013-12-27 on ODIEONE
Bzr revision: 115778 [email-masked]
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 6.1.7601
Configured using:
 `configure --prefix=/c/Devel/emacs/binary --enable-checking=yes,glyphs
 'CFLAGS=-O0 -g3' LDFLAGS=-Lc:/Devel/emacs/lib
 CPPFLAGS=-Ic:/Devel/emacs/include'