Subject: bug#16251: closed (Re: bug#16251: 24.3.50; `icomplete-mode' breaks my file opening now)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Fri, 27 Dec 2013 13:00:04 +0000

Your bug report

#16251: 24.3.50; `icomplete-mode' breaks my file opening now

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
16251: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=16251
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#16251: 24.3.50; `icomplete-mode' breaks my file opening now
From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
To: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 27 Dec 2013 07:59:51 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> I downloaded this build, and when `icomplete-mode' is on, with my setup
> it takes several seconds to gather the list of file candidates in my
> usual directory.

I just reverted icomplete-show-matches-on-no-input to nil, which I think
is the right default.  That it can take a long time to get the
completions is not in itself a bug.  There are 2 potential bugs left, tho:
- hitting a key should interrupt the completions processing (so that
  the long wait should not prevent you from getting work done).
  If it doesn't, then we have a bug.  Please report it separately, with
  as much details as possible to reproduce it (it's probably a problem
  in the C code).
- ideally completion should never take that long, so we probably have
  a performance bug somewhere.  Of course, that might also be in your
  local code (.emacs, icicles, ...).

-- Stefan

Subject: 24.3.50; `icomplete-mode' breaks my file opening now
From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 24 Dec 2013 21:58:04 -0800 (PST)
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

[The build noted below is the one this bug report is for.  But I'm
sending this using an older build than the one noted below, because of
another new bug, which prevents using `report-emacs-bug']

Just a preliminary heads up for now.  Hope to add more info later, when
I get some time.

I downloaded this build, and when `icomplete-mode' is on, with my setup
it takes several seconds to gather the list of file candidates in my
usual directory.  With a build from two days ago, this does not happen.
And if I turn off icomplete mode it also does not happen.

It seems that something was changed in the icomplete mode code recently
that breaks at least my file-finding code.

With emacs -Q I do not notice the problem (well, maybe a slight delay).
I see that C-x C-f now shows completions immediately, without my typing
any prefix.  That is not true in the build from 2 days ago.

In GNU Emacs 24.3.50.1 (i686-pc-mingw32)
 of 2013-12-24 on ODIEONE
Bzr revision: 115738 [email-masked]
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 6.1.7601
Configured using:
 `configure --prefix=/c/Devel/emacs/binary --enable-checking=yes,glyphs
 'CFLAGS=-O0 -g3' LDFLAGS=-Lc:/Devel/emacs/lib
 CPPFLAGS=-Ic:/Devel/emacs/include'