Subject: bug#16251: 24.3.50; `icomplete-mode' breaks my file opening now

From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Dec 2013 09:23:15 -0800 (PST)

> Why is finding the list of files so slow for you?

I don't know.  And I don't have time right now to track it down.
But I'll try to take a look later some time.

> Don't you experience the same performance problem after typing
> a character and forcing completions to show up?

No, absolutely not.

> We call the completion function inside while-no-input, so we
> should abort the "several seconds" of work as soon as you start
> typing.

I didn't start typing.  In Icicles it often makes sense to show
all initial completions from the outset, either automatically or
on demand.

While waiting for better understanding of the problem, and
possibly a fix if there is in fact a bug and solution, I will
automatically turn off `icomplete-show-matches-on-no-input'
when Icicle mode is turned on.

BTW, there is no such problem with using IswitchB with Icicles,
AFAIK.