Subject: bug#16243: 24.3.50; shr-visit-file doesn't set the buffer's default-directory

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Dec 2013 18:42:57 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> But expand-file-name doesn't support it.  On MS-Windows:
>
>   (expand-file-name "file:///d:/usr/lib")
>     => "d:/gnu/bzr/emacs/trunk/file:/d:/usr/lib"

I think we're talking past each other here.  HTML documents use URLs
like "file:///home/foo" or "http://fsf.org" as base addresses to expand
relative URLs.  These URLs are never fed to `expand-file-name' or
anything like it.

>> That's why `buffer-file-name' isn't set.
>
> There are other methods to prevent accidental saving, which don't mess
> up with buffer-file-name or default-directory.  After all, the user
> can always specify the file to save explicitly, so you cannot make
> this 100% idiot-proof anyway.  The way things are now, we punish the
> innocent majority on behalf of a crazy minority.  That doesn't sound
> right to me.

The problem here is that the command `shr-visit-file' exists.  It
shouldn't.  It was just used to simple debugging while developing shr,
and should be removed.  That the buffer is in `fundamental-mode' is
another symptom.  >"?

Instead there could be an `eww-find-file' that would do the right thing.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
  bloggy blog http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no/