Subject: bug#16243: 24.3.50; shr-visit-file doesn't set the buffer's default-directory

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Dec 2013 09:19:14 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> To make relative URLs expand correctly, file://directory/file/is/in
>> should be passed in as the base directory.
>
> I'm not sure such a directory value will do what we want.  The value
> should be a local file name.  E.g., on Windows typing RET on a link
> will eventually call a function that needs to be able to produce an
> absolute file name by calling expand-file-name.

file:// specifies a local file.

>> `shr-visit-file' doesn't really visit a file.  It just does a rendering
>> based on it.  If `buffer-file-name' is set to the file, and you save
>> what you see, you destroy the .html file you see a rendering of.
>
> Then don't allow to save.

That's why `buffer-file-name' isn't set.  As it isn't in most special
mode buffers.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
  bloggy blog http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no/