Subject: bug#16240: Please try building with librsvg on MS-Windows

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Dec 2013 18:51:41 +0200

> From: Juanma Barranquero <[email-masked]>
> Date: Tue, 24 Dec 2013 14:19:56 +0100
> Bcc: [email-masked]

(Why Bcc?  It required me to download the bug report from debbugs, to
have the right headers.  The bug is already filed anyway.)

> Running from the root of the test suit:
> 
>   C:\...\svg> dir
> 
>    Directory of  C:\Devel\emacs\varios\images\svg\*
> 
>   24/12/2013  02:29         <DIR>    harness
>   24/12/2013  02:29         <DIR>    images
>   24/12/2013  02:29         <DIR>    png
>   24/12/2013  02:27         <DIR>    resources
>   24/12/2013  02:29         <DIR>    svg
>   24/12/2013  02:29         <DIR>    svgweb
>                    0 bytes in 0 files and 6 dirs
>      120.282.697.728 bytes free
> 
>   C:\...\svg> \Devel\emacs\repo\trunk\src\emacs.exe -Q svg\color-prof-01-f.svg
> 
>   (emacs.exe:10820): Pango-CRITICAL **: No modules found:
>   No builtin or dynamically loaded modules were found.
>   PangoFc will not work correctly.
>   This probably means there was an error in the creation of:
>     'C:\Devel\emacs\etc\pango\pango.modules'
>   You should create this file by running:
>     pango-querymodules > 'C:\Devel\emacs\etc\pango\pango.modules'
> 
>   (emacs.exe:10820): Pango-WARNING **: failed to choose a font, expect
> ugly output. engine-type='PangoRenderWin32', script='latin'

This is not an Emacs problem, this is a problem in the binary package
for Pango (and perhaps also for librsvg).  The binary distribution for
Pango does include a file etc/pango/pango.modules, but it is empty.
I'm guessing that without any content in that file, Pango looks in the
default place, which is the value of --prefix I used when configured
it.  And you probably didn't install Pango in the same place I did
(d:/usr).  If so, please run the command which is cited in the above
error message, but redirect its output to the place where you have the
pango.modules file, instead of the file name shown in the message.

Similarly, there's a loaders.cache file in the librsvg binary package,
which might need a similar update, using the gdk-pixbuf-query-loaders
command.

Please, before you update these 2 files, try simply removing or
renaming them, and see if that makes the package work without the
error message.  If that doesn't work, create the files with correct
content for your system, and I will then try to find a way to make
installation friendlier (ideally, no need for these files).