Subject: RE: bug#16216: 24.3.50; <control> entries in `ucs-names'

From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Dec 2013 21:08:35 -0800 (PST)

> Look at UnicodeData.txt, near the beginning of the file.

I see; thanks.  And I recall now that you pointed me to that
file once before.

Still, that does not really answer the questions I posed, AFAICT.
At least not for a user of `ucs-names' or the other functions
mentioned.

If `ucs-names' essentially corresponds to UnicodeData.txt, how
about citing that in its doc?  Better yet, perhaps cite this,
which seems to be the place that the fields of UnicodeData.txt
are described:
http://www.unicode.org/Public/5.1.0/ucd/UCD.html#UnicodeData.txt

Still, part of my question is about `insert-char' and
`read-char-by-name', which is really what most users will see.
(Those are admittedly not the same as `ucs-names'.  But they are
currently the only consumers of the latter.)

Should the `<control>' entries of `ucs-names' be included for
the completion provided by `read-char-by-name'?  You can only
choose one of them, anyway.  What is the use case for that -
the reason it is included as a possibility for `C-x 8 RET'?