Subject: bug#16214: Consistency in dired-, occur-, and grep-mode

From: Richard Stallman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2022 23:14:09 -0500

[[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider    ]]]
[[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,     ]]]
[[[ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example. ]]]

  > In grep-mode `e` is unbound.  `wgrep` is in nongnu elpa so I don't
  > know if `grep-mode` can reference it.  But if not, perhaps it could
  > reserve this key for a wgrep-like function with a comment.  `wgrep`
  > could be updated to add the binding or just document it as a
  > possibility.

Thanks for being sensitive to this important point.

NonGNU ELPA are for add-ons that are not part of GNU Emacs.  To keep
ourselves honest, we shouldn't treat them as part of it for one
purpose while treating them as not part of it for another purpose.
We can't have it both ways.

So we shouldn't design Grep mode based on presuming that wgrep is
part of the editor.

If we want to have that, we should do the work to make that
functionality available within GNU Emacs.

-- 
Dr Richard Stallman (https://stallman.org)
Chief GNUisance of the GNU Project (https://gnu.org)
Founder, Free Software Foundation (https://fsf.org)
Internet Hall-of-Famer (https://internethalloffame.org)