Subject: Re: bug#16214: Consistency in dired-, occur-, and grep-mode

From: Howard Melman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2022 15:43:27 -0500

Howard Melman <[email-masked]> writes:

> I'd also love to see one common way of entering wdired,
> occur-edit and wgrep.  The burden of maintaining this muscle
> memory is IMHO silly.

Actually, I this think is still viable:

> To have consistency on edition of buffer at dired-/occur-/grep-mode,
> (1) addition of two key-binds, "e" to both (dired-toggle-read-only)
> and (wgrep-change-to-wgrep-mode)

In occur-mode `e` already enters `occur-edit mode`.

In grep-mode `e` is unbound.  `wgrep` is in nongnu elpa so I don't
know if `grep-mode` can reference it.  But if not, perhaps it could
reserve this key for a wgrep-like function with a comment.  `wgrep`
could be updated to add the binding or just document it as a
possibility.

In dired-mode `dired-toggle-read-only` is bound to `C-x C-q`
and `dired-find-file` is bound to `e`, `f` *and* `RET` (and
`f` is the one the emacs manual mentions first).  If just
`e` were changed to invoke `dired-toggle-read-only` then
existing users in `dired-mode` can still use `f` and `RET`
to edit a file or rebind `e`.

Changing just one binding which already has two other equally
convenient (single key) and intuitive bindings doesn't seem too
invasive IMHO to fix something that, as you say, if it were designed
today would indeed be a priority.

-- 

Howard