Subject: Re: bug#16214: Consistency in dired-, occur-, and grep-mode

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2022 09:16:49 +0100

Richard Stallman <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Richard,

>   >   For example, `v' in Dired opens a file in view mode,
>   > > so often I type `v' in vc-dir, but it registers the file in version
>   > > control instead of opening in view mode.  I have no idea how to avoid
>   > > this inconsistency.
>
> I suspect that v in vc-dir is used rarely enough that people would
> not object to a change.

I use it every single day, and often. Like other people who aren't using
magit (but I don't know whether this are many people these days).

> Maybe a better fix would be to make v in vc-dir ask for confirmation.
> (I don't know whether it already does that; I may never have used it.)
> At least this way typing v by mistake won't cause much trouble.

There is already some interactive ping-pong, because you have to provide
some text, depending on what vc-next-action (the command bound to v in
vc-dir) intends to do.

Best regards, Michael.