Subject: bug#16214: Consistency in dired-, occur-, and grep-mode

From: Richard Stallman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2022 22:57:27 -0500

[[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider    ]]]
[[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,     ]]]
[[[ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example. ]]]

  >   For example, `v' in Dired opens a file in view mode,
  > > so often I type `v' in vc-dir, but it registers the file in version
  > > control instead of opening in view mode.  I have no idea how to avoid
  > > this inconsistency.

I suspect that v in vc-dir is used rarely enough that people would
not object to a change.

But there is nothing in Dired comparable to "registering" a file,
so whatever key vc-dir uses for this will not be comparable
to the meaning of that same key in Dired.  So maybe this mini-problem
can't be avoided.

Maybe a better fix would be to make v in vc-dir ask for confirmation.
(I don't know whether it already does that; I may never have used it.)
At least this way typing v by mistake won't cause much trouble.

-- 
Dr Richard Stallman (https://stallman.org)
Chief GNUisance of the GNU Project (https://gnu.org)
Founder, Free Software Foundation (https://fsf.org)
Internet Hall-of-Famer (https://internethalloffame.org)