Subject: Re: bug#16214: Consistency in dired-, occur-, and grep-mode

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2022 09:27:24 +0100

Juri Linkov <[email-masked]> writes:

> I highly sympathize with your attempts to make keybindings consistent,
> but please note that some existing keybindings can't be changed for
> historical reasons.  For example, `v' in Dired opens a file in view mode,
> so often I type `v' in vc-dir, but it registers the file in version
> control instead of opening in view mode.  I have no idea how to avoid
> this inconsistency.

(I'm going through old bug reports that unfortunately weren't resolved
at the time.)

If these modes were designed today, then having the keys be more
consistent would indeed be a priority.  However, these bindings have
been around for decades, and changing them would break the muscle memory
of many people, and be highly annoying, so we can't do that.

Individual users are free to rebind these as they wish, of course, and
somebody properly motivated could make an ELPA package to unify these
bindings, but I don't think there's anything realistic that can be done
on the Emacs side here, so I'm therefore closing this bug report.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no