Subject: bug#16211: eww should support multiple *eww* buffers

From: Ivan Shmakov <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Dec 2013 21:51:49 +0000

>>>>> "TZ" == Ted Zlatanov <[email-masked]> writes:
>>>>> On Sat, 21 Dec 2013 11:24:54 +0000 Ivan Shmakov <[email-masked]> wrote:

 IS> Package: emacs Severity: wishlist

 IS> EWW should support rendering Web pages in more than one buffer
 IS> (akin to “tabs” and “windows” of many other browsers out there.)

 TZ> I agree, but Lars and Stefan may not.  They prefer (based on a
 TZ> discussion in emacs-devel just recently) a more Emacsian behavior
 TZ> where possible, instead of mimicking regular web browsers.

	Well, I have no problem with that: Gnus uses different Summary
	buffers for different groups, M-x mml-preview keeps creating new
	buffers even if called for the very same message buffer, and
	well, find-file isn’t constrained to a single buffer, either.

 IS> PS.  And while there, why not to make the buffer names used by EWW
 IS> customizable, BTW?

 TZ> I agree this functionality would be nice, see `eww-setup-buffer'.
 TZ> Should be pretty trivial.

	Yes, I know: I’ve already patched the code.  (I’ve tried to
	contact assign at gnu dot org for copyright disclaimer papers,
	but haven’t received any reply so far.  And now I guess I’d have
	to wait to the next year due to the holidays, anyway.)

 TZ> I don't see a need for complicated variable passing as you
 TZ> described and I omitted, but have no strong opinion about it
 TZ> either.

	Please note that eww-setup-buffer is called from the buffer
	filled by url-retrieve, and /not/ from one of the EWW buffers.
	I see no obvious way for it to deduce from which buffer the
	original command (say, M-x eww) was called so to get back there.

-- 
FSF associate member #7257