Subject: automake 1.14 chokes on file names with `='

From: Sebastian Freundt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2013 09:20:57 +0000

Consider following Makefile.am:
noinst_PROGRAMS = footool
footool_SOURCES = foo=bar.c
footool_CPPFLAGS = -DVERSION=4.0

processed with automake 1.14, autoconf 2.69, yields:
/usr/share/automake-1.14/am/depend2.am: error: bad characters in variable name 'footool-foo'
/usr/share/automake-1.14/am/depend2.am: warning: footool-foo multiply defined in condition TRUE ...
/usr/share/automake-1.14/am/depend2.am: ... 'footool-foo' previously defined here
autoreconf: automake failed with exit status: 1

Other automake versions are affected as well, at least automake 1.13.1 and
automake 1.12.6

Also noteworthy the variant without CPPFLAGS seems to work:
noinst_PROGRAMS = footool
footool_SOURCES = foo=bar.c

$ autoreconf -fi
$ echo $?
0