Subject: bug#16197: 24.3.50; no completion on commands following "sudo" in shell and eshell

From: Thierry Volpiatto <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2013 09:18:27 +0100

Hi all,
shell and eshell are not completing commands after "sudo".

For eshell what is needed is a `pcomplete/sudo' function:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
(defun pcomplete/sudo ()
  (let ((prec (pcomplete-arg 'last -1)))
    (cond ((string= "sudo" prec)
           (while (pcomplete-here*
                   (funcall pcomplete-command-completion-function)
                   (pcomplete-arg 'last) t))))))
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

For shell modify `shell-command-completion' something like this:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
(defun shell-command-completion ()
  "Return the completion data for the command at point, if any."
  (let ((filename (comint-match-partial-filename))
        start)
    (if (and filename
	     (save-match-data (not (string-match "[~/]" filename)))
	     (eq (setq start (match-beginning 0))
		 (save-excursion (shell-backward-command 1)
                                 (if (looking-at "sudo")
                                     start (point)))))
	(shell--command-completion-data))))
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

In GNU Emacs 24.3.50.2 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, X toolkit)
 of 2013-12-19 on dell-14z
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11103000
System Description:	Ubuntu 12.04.3 LTS

Configured using:
 `configure --with-x-toolkit=lucid --without-toolkit-scroll-bars
 --without-gconf --without-gsettings'

Important settings:
  value of $LC_MONETARY: fr_FR.UTF-8
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: fr_FR.UTF-8
  value of $LC_TIME: fr_FR.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: fr_FR.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  TeX-PDF-mode: t
  psession-mode: t
  global-semanticdb-minor-mode: t
  global-semantic-idle-scheduler-mode: t
  semantic-mode: t
  golden-ratio-mode: t
  winner-mode: t
  global-undo-tree-mode: t
  undo-tree-mode: t
  auto-image-file-mode: t
  eldoc-in-minibuffer-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  minibuffer-depth-indicate-mode: t
  helm-mode: t
  helm-descbinds-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  helm-adaptative-mode: t
  helm-match-plugin-mode: t
  helm-occur-match-plugin-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
<right> <right> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> 
s t a r t C-M-x <f11> s h s u d o SPC f d <tab> <down> 
<return> C-x C-b <return> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> 
<up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <up> <up> <up> <up> <left> 
<left> <left> <left> <left> <left> <left> <left> <left> 
<left> <left> <left> <left> <left> <left> <left> <left> 
<left> <left> <left> <left> <left> <left> <left> <left> 
<left> <left> <left> <left> <left> <left> <left> <left> 
<left> C-M-SPC M-w <f11> s h <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> c a t SPC . e m 
a c s <tab> <return> SPC | SPC s u d o SPC g r <tab> 
e p <down> <return> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> C-x 
C-b <return> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <right> <right> <right> <right> 
<right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> 
<right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> 
<right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> 
<right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> 
<right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> 
<right> <right> <right> <f11> s h s u d o SPC a p t 
- g <tab> SPC | SPC g r <tab> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> e <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <return> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> C-x C-b <return> <up> M-x r e p o r t 
<return>

Recent messages:
Result: 34 (#o42, #x22, ?\")

Result: 34 (#o42, #x22, ?\")

Result: nil
Back to top level.
Auto-saving...
shell-command-completion [2 times]
Mark set
Auto-saving...done

Load-path shadows:
/usr/local/share/emacs/24.3.50/lisp/gnus/.dir-locals hides ~/elisp/magit/.dir-locals
~/elisp/auctex/lpath hides ~/elisp/emacs-wget/lpath
/usr/local/share/emacs/24.3.50/lisp/emacs-lisp/tq hides ~/elisp/emms/lisp/tq

Features:
(shadow epa-mail emacsbug helm-command edebug debug helm-dabbrev
cl-indent help-mode helm-eshell helm-ring helm-sys magit-cherry
magit-bisect magit-log-edit log-edit add-log magit-key-mode magit view
iswitchb ido ediff-merg ediff-wind ediff-diff ediff-mult ediff-help
ediff-init ediff-util ediff diff-mode magit-compat smiley gnus-cite
flow-fill mm-archive mail-extr gnus-async gnus-bcklg gnus-ml nndraft
nnmh utf-7 nnimap utf7 nnml nnfolder parse-time netrc network-stream
starttls tls gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual
gnus-msg gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime dig nntp
gnus-cache gnus-dired nnir gnus-sum gnus-group gnus-undo nnmail
mail-source nnoo gnus-start gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range gnus-win
semantic/bovine/c hideif semantic/bovine/c-by semantic/lex-spp
semantic/bovine/gcc semantic/bovine semantic/analyze/refs
semantic/analyze semantic/sort semantic/scope semantic/analyze/fcn
cc-langs cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align
cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs preview prv-emacs tex-buf reftex-dcr
reftex-auc reftex imenu reftex-vars font-latex latex tex-style tex dbus
crm latexenc vc-rcs sh-script smie executable vc-hg semantic/tag-file
semantic/db-file data-debug cedet-files semantic/wisent/python
semantic/decorate/include semantic/db-find semantic/db-ref
semantic/decorate/mode semantic/decorate pulse semantic/dep
semantic/wisent/python-wy semantic/wisent semantic/wisent/wisent
markdown-mode vc-git naquadah-theme em-unix em-script em-prompt em-ls
em-hist em-pred em-glob em-dirs em-cmpl em-basic em-banner em-alias
align-let git-gutter server persistent-sessions semantic/db-mode
semantic/db eieio-base semantic/idle semantic/format ezimage
semantic/tag-ls semantic/find semantic/ctxt semantic/util-modes
semantic/util semantic semantic/tag semantic/lex semantic/fw mode-local
cedet package golden-ratio winner undo-tree diff image-file newsticker
newst-treeview newst-plainview newst-reader newst-ticker newst-backend
shr xdvi-search preview-latex tex-site auto-loads pcomplete-extension
em-term term disp-table ehelp helm-ipython helm-elisp helm-eval python
rx eldoc-eval warnings whitespace paren time avoid recentf tree-widget
savehist smtpmail-async smtpmail sendmail helm-async iterator
simple-call-tree iedit-rect rect iedit iedit-lib smallurl mm-url gnus
gnus-ems nnheader wid-edit rectangle-utils ledger-config ledger esh-var
esh-io esh-cmd esh-opt esh-ext esh-proc eldoc esh-groups eshell
esh-module esh-mode esh-arg esh-util tv-utils async pcvs vc-cvs
pcvs-parse pcvs-info pcvs-defs pcvs-util ewoc mb-depth cl-info
slime-autoloads esh-toggle flymake no-word htmlize dired-extension
emms-mpd-config emms-playlist-limit emms-volume emms-volume-amixer
emms-i18n emms-history emms-score emms-stream-info
emms-metaplaylist-mode emms-bookmarks emms-cue emms-mode-line-icon
emms-browser sort emms-playlist-sort emms-last-played emms-player-xine
emms-player-mpd tq emms-playing-time emms-lyrics emms-url hl-line
emms-tag-editor emms-mark emms-mode-line emms-cache emms-info-ogginfo
emms-info-mp3info emms-playlist-mode emms-player-vlc emms-player-mplayer
emms-info emms-streams later-do emms-source-playlist emms-source-file
emms-player-simple emms-setup emms emms-compat org-config-thierry ob-sh
cal-china lunar solar cal-dst cal-bahai cal-islam cal-hebrew holidays
hol-loaddefs appt diary-lib diary-loaddefs org-element org-rmail org-mhe
org-irc org-info org-gnus org-docview doc-view jka-compr image-mode
org-bibtex bibtex org-bbdb org-w3m org-agenda org-annotation-helper
addressbook-bookmark message rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mailabbrev
mail-utils gmm-utils mailheader firefox-protocol
bookmark-firefox-handler bookmark-extensions init-helm-thierry helm-mode
helm-dictionary helm-ls-git helm-descbinds helm-ls-hg helm-files
image-dired tramp tramp-compat tramp-loaddefs trampver shell dired-x
dired-aux ffap thingatpt helm-buffers helm-elscreen helm-tags
helm-bookmark helm-adaptative helm-info helm-net browse-url xml url
url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie
url-domsuf url-util url-parse url-vars mailcap helm-plugin bookmark pp
helm-help helm-match-plugin helm-grep wgrep-helm wgrep helm-regexp grep
helm-external helm-utils dired compile helm-locate helm vc vc-dispatcher
helm-config helm-aliases epa-file epa derived epg epg-config auth-source
eieio eieio-core gnus-util mm-util mail-prsvr password-cache info
cl-macs gv edmacro kmacro org-crypt org byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile
cconv advice help-fns org-macro org-footnote org-pcomplete pcomplete
org-list org-faces org-entities time-date noutline outline easy-mmode
org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob ob-tangle org-src ob-ref ob-lob ob-table
ob-keys ob-exp ob-comint comint ansi-color ring ob-core ob-eval
org-compat org-macs org-loaddefs format-spec find-func cal-menu easymenu
calendar cal-loaddefs net-utils cl cl-loaddefs cl-lib tooltip electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar
dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar
mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev
minibuffer nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process
dbusbind gfilenotify dynamic-setting font-render-setting x-toolkit x
multi-tty emacs)

-- 
Thierry
Get my Gnupg key:
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 59F29997