Subject: Re: bug#16196: 24.3.50; Disable ding when scrolling

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2019 20:23:43 +0200

martin rudalics <[email-masked]> writes:

>  > To make it easier to review, I've also included a git diff
>  > ignoring whitespace changes.
>
> This one doesn't apply here.

Sorry, I should've been more clear.  This is the same as the patch but
without the whitespace changes.  Please try applying the patch
instead.  Thanks.

>  > What do you think?
>
> AFAIAC it's an improvement.  But personally, I'd drop the message as
> well.  Does anyone really need it?

I'm personally prone to agree with you, but the reasoning in the previous
discussion in this thread seems to be that we do want it.  Or at least
something similar.

Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]> writes:

> the general design of Emacs is that
> we strive to make every command perform *something*, so when the user's
> request ends up doing nothing, we signal an error to make it clear that
> Emacs did obey the request.  Otherwise the lack of feedback can make the
> user feel like Emacs is unresponsive.

And later:

> I'd rather keep some kind of feedback.  Maybe a `message'?

Personally, I think the scrolling itself is enough feedback.  It
either scrolls or it doesn't.  That's what happens in many other
programs, for example in Firefox.  And scroll-bar-mode is enabled by
default.

But I think my opinion on this carries less weight than Stefan
Monnier's.  :-)

Thanks,
Stefan Kangas