Subject: Re: bug#16196: 24.3.50; Disable ding when scrolling

From: Jan Djärv <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 4 Jan 2014 10:36:27 +0100

Hello.

4 jan 2014 kl. 08:25 skrev Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>:

>> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>,
>> "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
>> From: Jan Djärv <[email-masked]>
>> Date: Sat, 4 Jan 2014 00:46:32 +0100
>> 
>> with flinging the beeping goes on for several seconds, depending on the force of the fling. 
> 
> Are you saying that ding is called several times in a row?  Perhaps we
> could avoid this specific situation (we already have mechanism in
> place for changing behavior when certain commands are invoked several
> times in a row).

Yes.  Here is C-h l after a normal fling.  Each wheel-down results in a beep:

<wheel-down> <double-wheel-down> <triple-wheel-down>
<triple-wheel-down> <triple-wheel-down> <triple-wheel-down>
<triple-wheel-down> <triple-wheel-down> <triple-wheel-down>
<triple-wheel-down> <triple-wheel-down> <triple-wheel-down>
<triple-wheel-down> <triple-wheel-down> <triple-wheel-down>
<triple-wheel-down> <triple-wheel-down> <triple-wheel-down>
<triple-wheel-down> <triple-wheel-down> <triple-wheel-down>
<triple-wheel-down> <triple-wheel-down> <triple-wheel-down>
<triple-wheel-down> <triple-wheel-down> <triple-wheel-down>
<triple-wheel-down> <triple-wheel-down> <triple-wheel-down>
<triple-wheel-down> <triple-wheel-down> <triple-wheel-down>
<triple-wheel-down> <triple-wheel-down> <triple-wheel-down>
<triple-wheel-down> <triple-wheel-down> <triple-wheel-down>
<triple-wheel-down> <triple-wheel-down> <triple-wheel-down>
<triple-wheel-down> <triple-wheel-down> <triple-wheel-down>
<triple-wheel-down> <triple-wheel-down> <triple-wheel-down>
<triple-wheel-down> <triple-wheel-down> <triple-wheel-down>
<triple-wheel-down> C-h l

Maybe double and triple could be ignored?
Visual bell is worse in this use case than the beep, as each blink takes longer time than a beep.

	Jan D.