Subject: bug#16196: 24.3.50; Disable ding when scrolling

From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Jan 2014 16:03:13 -0800 (PST)

> Ding implies an error

No, it does not.  Read its doc.

And read about particular uses of it, in the Elisp manual.  Each
explicit mention of a use makes clear that it is NOT about signaling
an error.

Node `Key Lookup':

  "it rings the bell (by calling `ding') but does not signal an error."
                                         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Node `Functions for Key Lookup':

  "It calls `ding', but does not cause an error."
                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Node `Beeping' tells you clearly what `ding' *is* for:

  "to attract the user's attention."

It also makes clear that one does not want to overuse it: attracting
the user's attention too much defeats the purpose and can be annoying.

> I rather have a silent lack of feedback than a lot of beeping.

Bind `ring-bell-function' wherever you like to whatever you like,
including to `ignore'.