Subject: Re: bug#16196: 24.3.50; Disable ding when scrolling

From: Jan Djärv <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2013 11:44:52 +0100

Hello.

23 dec 2013 kl. 03:46 skrev Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>:

>>>> That'd be a serious change of behavior, so it
>>>> should be discussed and/or users polled before we do that, I think.
>>> Best make it an option then.  Does not require polling.
>> I don't think an option will raise any objections.  Patches welcome.
> 
> Can be seen as a generalization of scroll-error-top-bottom.
> 
> I'm not opposed to such an option, but I'm not convinced that changing
> the default behavior is a good idea: the general design of Emacs is that
> we strive to make every command perform *something*, so when the user's
> request ends up doing nothing, we signal an error to make it clear that
> Emacs did obey the request.  Otherwise the lack of feedback can make the
> user feel like Emacs is unresponsive.

The main use case here is "flinging" with a trackpad.  In that case, Emacs already responds by scrolling up/down to the top/bottom.  It is after Emacs has hit top/bottom that the "extra" beeps occur.

If already at the top/bottom, the normal thing for OSX apps is to "bounce" a bit to show that the display is already at the top/bottom.  If at the top, the whole page is moved a bit downwards and then bounces back.  This is not common in X, so not really appropriate for Emacs.

	Jan D.