Subject: bug#16196: 24.3.50; Disable ding when scrolling

From: Jan Djärv <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2013 07:08:37 +0100

Hello.

When using a laptop with a trackpad, or a separate trackpad, scrolling in Emacs is annoying.
The reason is that with a trackpad you "fling" the scrollbar up or down, with low precision.  Trackbar scrolling isn't designed to be done with the seame precision as with a scrollbar.
That means when Emacs hits top or bottom, it beeps a lot.  If you have visual bell on, it blinks a lot.
That is because Emacs beeps when you try to scroll up/down and you already are at the top/bottom.
The same applies for scrolling left/right.

I think Emacs should by default not beep at all when scrolling and no movement can be done.  It should just ignore it and do nothing, like most applications do.  At the very least there should be an option to turn off scrollrelated beeping.

	Jan D.

In GNU Emacs 24.3.50.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin13.0.0, NS apple-appkit-1265.00)
of 2013-11-20 on zeplin
Bzr revision: 115162 [email-masked]
Windowing system distributor `Apple', version 10.3.1265
Configured using:
`configure --verbose --with-ns CFLAGS=-g3'

Important settings:
  value of $LC_COLLATE: C
  value of $LANG: sv_SE.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
<escape> x r e p o r t - e m <tab> <return>

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message format-spec rfc822 mml
easymenu mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils time-date tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel ns-win tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt
fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode prog-mode register page
menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer nadvice
loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process cocoa ns
multi-tty emacs)