Subject: Re: bug#16192: hl-line-mode: Current line highlighting takes precedence over region highlighting

From: Jarosław Rzeszótko <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2013 18:41:51 +0100

Correction from my side, the last problem seems to actually be independent
of the fix, I reproduced it with vanilla emacs from vcs, no hl-line-mode,
emacs ran with --no-init, without any .Xresources etc., just:

(setq-default left-margin-width 1)

open a new buffer, select a few lines, and you get this:

http://imgur.com/M1LFjeF

2013/12/19 Drew Adams <[email-masked]>

> > I've just installed a patch which lowers the priority of the hl-line
> > highlighting, which seems like a good thing to do in general and which
> > should resolve this problem (unless you use the same attributes for the
> > region and the hl-line faces).
>
> It's not about the priority of the hl-line highlighting. (And other code
> might well expect the priority that was there before.)
>
> It's about the priority of the region highlighting.  Raise that,
> instead of lowering other priorities case by case (and possibly breaking
> other code).  It is the region overlay that is new.  It is its priority
> that needs fixing.
>
> But didn't you say that you didn't want to be fiddling with priorities,
> to deal with the problems introduced by this change?
>