Subject: bug#16190: closed (Re: bug#16190: 23.4; M-x captialize-word works incorrectly)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2013 17:54:04 +0000

Your bug report

#16190: 23.4; M-x captialize-word works incorrectly

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
16190: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=16190
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#16190: 23.4; M-x captialize-word works incorrectly
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Stephen Berman <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2013 19:54:01 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> From: Stephen Berman <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked],  [email-masked]
> Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2013 09:36:54 +0100
> 
> On Thu, 19 Dec 2013 05:51:02 +0200 Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> >> Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2013 23:03:28 -0500
> >> From: Caleb Wakeman <[email-masked]>
> >> 
> >> With point in the middle of a word, I ran M-x capitalize-word.  Rather 
> >> than capitalize the first letter of the word, as I expected, it 
> >> capitalized the character at point and moved point to the end of the 
> >> word.  (Specifically, rather than change `word' (wo-!-rd) to `Word', it 
> >> changed it to `woRd'.)
> >
> > That's how capitalize-word is supposed to work.  It's not a bug, but
> > intended behavior.
> 
> Then its doc string is incorrect:

Fair enough, I fixed the doc string to be more explicit on this matter
(in trunk revision 115612).

Subject: 23.4; M-x captialize-word works incorrectly
From: Caleb Wakeman <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2013 23:03:28 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

With point in the middle of a word, I ran M-x capitalize-word.  Rather 
than capitalize the first letter of the word, as I expected, it 
capitalized the character at point and moved point to the end of the 
word.  (Specifically, rather than change `word' (wo-!-rd) to `Word', it 
changed it to `woRd'.)

I checked this in the message edit buffer, and it seems pretty 
consistent to me.

I was able to reproduce this with M-c as well as M-x capitalize-word (as 
well as ESC c and ESC x capitalize word on the Mac mentioned below).

I was also able to reproduce this in (apparently vanilla?) GNU Emacs 
22.1.1 under Mac OS X (tested in the scratch buffer).

--!Autofilled content from M-x report-emacs-bug!--
This bug report will be sent to the Free Software Foundation, not to 
your local site managers! Please write in English if possible, because 
the Emacs maintainers usually do not have translators to read other 
languages for them.  Your report will be posted to the 
[email-masked] mailing list and the gnu.emacs.bug news group, and 
at http://debbugs.gnu.org.  Please describe exactly what actions 
triggered the bug and the precise symptoms of the bug.  If you can, give 
a recipe starting from `emacs -Q':   If Emacs crashed, and you have the 
Emacs process in the gdb debugger, please include the output from the 
following gdb commands:     `bt full' and `xbacktrace'. For information 
about debugging Emacs, please read the file 
/usr/share/emacs/23.4/etc/DEBUG. In GNU Emacs 23.4.1 
(x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.12)  of 2012-09-22 on allspice, 
modified by Debian Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', 
version 11.0.11303000 configured using `configure  '--build' 
'x86_64-linux-gnu' '--build' 'x86_64-linux-gnu' '--prefix=/usr' 
'--sharedstatedir=/var/lib' '--libexecdir=/usr/lib' 
'--localstatedir=/var/lib' '--infodir=/usr/share/info' 
'--mandir=/usr/share/man' '--with-pop=yes' 
'--enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs23:/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/23.4/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/23.4/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp' 
'--with-crt-dir=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu' '--with-x=yes' 
'--with-x-toolkit=gtk' '--with-toolkit-scroll-bars' 
'build_alias=x86_64-linux-gnu' 'CFLAGS=-g -O2 -fstack-protector 
--param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -Wformat -Werror=format-security -Wall 
-DDEBIAN -O2' 'CPPFLAGS=-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2'' Important settings: 
value of $LC_ALL: nil   value of $LC_COLLATE: nil   value of $LC_CTYPE: 
nil   value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil   value of $LC_MONETARY: nil   value of 
$LC_NUMERIC: nil   value of $LC_TIME: nil   value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8 
   value of $XMODIFIERS: nil   locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix 
default enable-multibyte-characters: t Major mode: Text Minor modes in 
effect:   longlines-mode: t   iswitchb-mode: t 
minibuffer-depth-indicate-mode: t   icicle-mode: t   server-mode: t 
global-whitespace-mode: t   display-battery-mode: t   tooltip-mode: t 
mouse-wheel-mode: t   tool-bar-mode: t   use-hard-newlines: t 
menu-bar-mode: t   file-name-shadow-mode: t   global-font-lock-mode: t 
  font-lock-mode: t   blink-cursor-mode: t   auto-encryption-mode: t 
auto-compression-mode: t   size-indication-mode: t   line-number-mode: t 
   transient-mark-mode: t Recent input: T M L , SPC o r SPC P D 
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace>  <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace>  <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace>  SPC o r SPC H T M L , SPC t h a n <backspace> <backspace> 
e n SPC a n y o n e SPC w o u l d SPC b e SPC a b l  e SPC t o SPC r e a 
d SPC i t . <help-echo> <help-echo>  <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> ( e 
<backspace> E v e n SPC  p e o p l e SPC w i t h SPC i <backspace> M i c 
r o  s o f t SPC w o r d SPC m a y SPC n o t SPC b e SPC  a b l e SPC t 
o SPC r e a d SPC i t , <backspace> <backspace>  <backspace> t h e SPC f 
i l e , SPC i f SPC <help-echo>  <help-echo> <down-mouse-1> <help-echo> 
<mouse-movement>  <mouse-movement> <drag-mouse-1> i t SPC w a s SPC m  a 
d e SPC w i t h SPC a SPC n e w e r SPC v e r s i  o n SPC o f SPC w o r 
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace>  W r o <backspace> <backspace> o r d 
SPC t h a n SPC  t h e y SPC h a v e . ) SPC SPC <down-mouse-1> 
<mouse-1>  <help-echo> C-x C-f <M-backspace> G o <return> SPC  C-_ M-v 
C-v C-v C-x C-f l i b <tab> <return> C-x k  <return> C-x k <return> 
<down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> <menu>  c a p t i <backspace> <backspace> i t 
<tab> - w o <tab>  <return> C-_ M-c C-_ M-b M-c C-n C-n C-n C-n <menu> 
r e p o r t - e m <tab> <return> Recent messages: Auto-saving...done 
Auto-saving...done Auto-saving...done Auto-saving...done 
Auto-saving...done Undo! call-interactively: Beginning of buffer 
call-interactively: End of buffer Auto-saving...done Undo! [2 times] 
Load-path shadows: ~/.emacslisp/icicles/lacarte hides 
~/.emacslisp/lacarte /usr/share/emacs/23.4/site-lisp/debian-startup 
hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/debian-startup 
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/dictionaries-common/ispell hides 
/usr/share/emacs/23.4/lisp/textmodes/ispell 
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/dictionaries-common/flyspell hides 
/usr/share/emacs/23.4/lisp/textmodes/flyspell 
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/latex-cjk-thai/thai-word hides 
/usr/share/emacs/23.4/lisp/language/thai-word 
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/auctex/tex-jp hides 
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/tex-jp 
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/auctex/tex-fold hides 
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/tex-fold 
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/auctex/tex hides 
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/tex 
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/auctex/preview hides 
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/preview 
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/auctex/bib-cite hides 
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/bib-cite 
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/auctex/tex-mik hides 
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/tex-mik 
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/auctex/context-nl hides 
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/context-nl 
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/auctex/multi-prompt hides 
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/multi-prompt 
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/auctex/latex hides 
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/latex 
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/auctex/font-latex hides 
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/font-latex 
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/auctex/toolbar-x hides 
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/toolbar-x 
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/auctex/tex-font hides 
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/tex-font 
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/auctex/tex-bar hides 
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/tex-bar 
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/auctex/prv-emacs hides 
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/prv-emacs 
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/auctex/tex-style hides 
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/tex-style 
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/auctex/context hides 
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/context 
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/auctex/tex-info hides 
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/tex-info 
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/auctex/texmathp hides 
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/texmathp 
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/auctex/context-en hides 
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/context-en 
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/auctex/plain-tex hides 
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/plain-tex 
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/auctex/tex-buf hides 
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/tex-buf Features: (shadow sort message 
sendmail ecomplete rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache mm-decode mm-bodies 
mm-encode mailcap mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 qp ietf-drums 
mailabbrev nnheader gnus-util netrc mm-util mail-prsvr gmm-utils 
mailheader canlock sha1 hex-util hashcash mail-utils emacsbug mail-extr 
ispell debug jka-compr multi-isearch vc-hg face-remap image-file org-wl 
org-w3m org-vm org-rmail org-mhe org-mew org-irc org-jsinfo org-infojs 
org-html org-exp org-exp-blocks org-agenda org-info org-gnus org-bibtex 
org-bbdb longlines iswitchb two-column mb-depth info bookmark pp icicles 
icicles-mode icicles-cmd2 icicles-cmd1 cus-edit icicles-mcmd help-mode 
view image-dired format-spec dired regexp-opt doremi ring+ ring 
icicles-fn icicles-var icicles-opt ffap wid-edit thingatpt icicles-face 
hexrgb remember org-remember org-datetree org byte-opt warnings bytecomp 
byte-compile org-footnote org-src org-list org-faces org-compat org-macs 
easymenu time-date noutline outline easy-mmode edmacro kmacro disp-table 
saveplace uniquify advice help-fns advice-preload server whitespace 
battery cus-start cus-load slime-autoloads magit-install bbdb-autoloads 
preview-latex tex-site auto-loads tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks 
lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd font-setting tool-bar dnd fontset 
image fringe lisp-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select 
scroll-bar mldrag mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core 
frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai 
tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european 
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help 
simple abbrev loaddefs button minibuffer faces cus-face files 
text-properties overlay md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom 
widget hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process dbusbind 
system-font-setting font-render-setting gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)