Subject: bug#16182: Acknowledgement (24.3.50; ruby-mode: Indentation style of multiline literals with hanging open paren inside other parens)

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2013 13:57:17 +0200

On 20.12.2013 11:51, Bozhidar Batsov wrote:
> Just a small nitpick - everything that returns a value is actually an
> expression, not a statement.

It can be both (see "expression statement"). This way it's not 
ambiguous, because I'm really aligning to the statement: the containing 
expression, which follows the bob or an [implicit] semicolon.

In Rubocop, you've chosen to align to just the parent expression. Maybe 
we should find a realistic example where one would be different from the 
other.

> Maybe `ruby-align-to-expr-keywords’ would be a more appropriate name for
> the option.

I was thinking rather of `ruby-align-to-statement'. A non-functional 
change that may be easier to pronounce.

> Btw, I noticed this in the indent examples:
>
> zoo
>    .lose(
>    q, p)
>
> Shouldn’t it be:
>
> zoo
>    .lose(
>      q, p)

Maybe, but that's harder to do. Basically, we'd want to keep the 
additional indentation when and only when the parent token (.), or any 
one of its siblings (in case of a chained method call) are at indentation.

Checking if the parent is at indentation is easy, but finding its 
siblings - not so much.