Subject: Re: bug#16182: Acknowledgement (24.3.50; ruby-mode: Indentation style of multiline literals with hanging open paren inside other parens)

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2013 07:21:42 +0200

On 19.12.2013 22:33, Bozhidar Batsov wrote:
> Part of the reason people are not using a particular style from time to
> time is simply lack of tool support. :-) I guess more people would have
> used that style if their editor supported it.

Maybe so. I'll have to return to the "do" block later, since this kind 
of special handling requires finding the beginning of the method chain 
(in the general case) that the block is passed to. Other keywords are 
simpler.

> Well, even though I develop Rails apps for a living I wouldn’t say the
> style used in the Rails codebase should be considered some gold standard
> - after all they are outdenting “private/protected” there :-)

Yuck indeed. :)

 > That said
> - before I started using programming Ruby in Emacs I aligned to the
> beginning of the statement, but I stopped because this wasn’t supported
> in ruby-mode. After using the alignment to keyword style for several
> years I’ve grown to like it a lot (and it seems others are enjoying it
> as well
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2925028/how-do-you-assign-a-variable-with-the-result-of-a-if-else-block).
> I’m perfectly fine with alignment to statement becoming the default
> (although the change of this default would be fairly visible/disruptive,
> since as it stands keyword alignment is the only supported style and I
> guess most Rubyists using Emacs employ it).

Well, since there's not much support for changing the defaults, I've 
reverted the special handling of "begin" that already made its way in, 
and added a user option that would control all applicable keywords: 
`ruby-align-to-stmt-keywords', in revision 115624.

Everyone, please try how it works for you, maybe comment on the name, etc.

The feature freeze is in a couple of days, so we have to get the basics 
right.