Subject: bug#16179: closed (Re: bug#16179: 24.3.50; darwin: ls-lisp-use-insert-directory-program=nil => bad formatting)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2013 16:05:04 +0000

Your bug report

#16179: 24.3.50; darwin: ls-lisp-use-insert-directory-program=nil => bad formatting

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
16179: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=16179
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#16179: 24.3.50; darwin: ls-lisp-use-insert-directory-program=nil => bad formatting
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2013 18:03:46 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2013 23:05:01 +0200
> From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> 
> > Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2013 15:37:58 -0500
> > From: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
> > Cc: [email-masked]
> > 
> > > In that Dired buffer, what are the values of ls-lisp-filesize-d-fmt
> > > and ls-lisp-filesize-f-fmt?  I suspect they are " %2d" and " %2.0f"
> > > respectively.
> > 
> > indeed.
> > 
> > > If that is so, please step through
> > > ls-lisp-insert-directory in a debugger and see why it doesn't account
> > > for file sizes that have more than 2 digits in them.
> > 
> > the `(memq ?s switches)' branch is taken.
> > 
> > > Did you invoke Dired with some non-default switches, btw, as in
> > > "C-u C-x d"?
> > 
> > I customize dired-listing-switches to "-als".
> > the "s" caused the problem.
> 
> Right, it looks like it prepares to display size in blocks, but
> actually displays in bytes.  I will take a look.  Thanks.

There was a confusion in the code regarding what -s really means.
Should be fixed now (revision 115593 on the trunk).

Thanks.

Subject: 24.3.50; darwin: ls-lisp-use-insert-directory-program=nil => bad formatting
From: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2013 11:57:53 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

In GNU Emacs 24.3.50.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin13.0.0, NS apple-appkit-1265.00)
 of 2013-12-17 on sds-MacBook-Pro.local
Windowing system distributor `Apple', version 10.3.1265
Configured using:
 `configure --with-ns'

(require 'ls-lisp)
(setq ls-lisp-use-insert-directory-program nil)

results in a dired buffer where the colums are not aligned because the
file size between group and data does not have a fixed width

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: C
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Emacs-Lisp

Minor modes in effect:
  rcirc-track-minor-mode: t
  which-function-mode: t
  url-handler-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  desktop-save-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  abbrev-mode: t

Recent input:
<select-window> <help-echo> <select-window> <down-mouse-1> 
<mouse-1> C-/ C-/ C-/ C-c c SPC <select-window> <help-echo> 
<select-window> <help-echo> <select-window> <select-window> 
<select-window> <select-window> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> 
C-s C-w C-w C-w C-w C-s C-s C-x k * s c <tab> <return> 
<select-window> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> z C-x k <return> 
SPC <f9> q SPC C-x 1 <wheel-up> <double-wheel-up> <triple-wheel-up> 
<triple-wheel-up> <triple-wheel-up> <triple-wheel-up> 
<down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> SPC <down> <down> SPC <down> 
<down> SPC <down> <down> <down> <up> <up> <down> <down> 
SPC <down> SPC <down> <select-window> <down-mouse-1> 
<mouse-1> q SPC SPC <help-echo> <select-window> <select-window> 
<select-window> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> SPC SPC SPC 
SPC SPC SPC SPC SPC SPC SPC SPC b SPC SPC SPC SPC SPC 
SPC SPC SPC SPC SPC SPC q SPC SPC <select-window> <help-echo> 
<select-window> <help-echo> <down-mouse-2> <mouse-1> 
<select-window> <select-window> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> 
SPC <select-window> <help-echo> <select-window> <help-echo> 
<down-mouse-2> <mouse-1> <select-window> <down-mouse-1> 
<select-window> <mouse-1> <down-mouse-2> <mouse-1> 
q SPC q g f g <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> <down-mouse-2> 
<mouse-1> Z n Z n q SPC q q SPC <select-window> <down-mouse-1> 
<mouse-1> C-x 0 <select-window> <help-echo> <select-window> 
<help-echo> <select-window> <help-echo> <down-mouse-1> 
<mouse-1> C-x 0 <f9> <f2> <select-window> <down-mouse-1> 
<mouse-1> <select-window> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> 
<f9> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> <select-window> <select-window> 
<down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> C-s d i r e d - C-r C-r C-r 
C-r C-r <up> C-h v ' <backspace> <return> <select-window> 
<down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> 2 <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> 
q <select-window> <select-window> <select-window> <select-window> 
<down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> C-d <down> C-x C-e <select-window> 
<down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> g g z g <select-window> <select-window> 
<down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> s C-h x l s <return> <select-window> 
<down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> SPC q <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> 
<backspace> SPC C-a ; ; SPC <down> <down> <down> C-e 
<down> <M-left> M-d t <down> <down> <down> <down> C-x 
C-e <up> <up> <up> <up> <left> <left> <left> C-x C-e 
<select-window> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> g s-x s d 
C-/ <select-window> <select-window> <down-mouse-1> 
<mouse-1> C-/ SPC C-/ C-/ <left> C-x C-e C-h C-g M-x 
r e p o <tab> <return>

Recent messages:
Buffer is read-only: #<buffer emacs>
Auto-saving...done
Undo!
Change in Dired buffer undone.
Actual changes in files cannot be undone by Emacs.
Undo! [2 times]
Redo!
t
C-h C-g is undefined
Scanning for dabbrevs...done

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow emacsbug tabify man mule-util url-http url-gw url-auth url-queue
url-cache url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history
url-cookie url-domsuf url-util shr mm-archive find-func pp dabbrev
bbdb-message mailalias sendmail cookie1 nnir sort smiley gnus-cite
gnus-async gnus-bcklg debug macros gnus-dup qp mail-extr gnus-ml
disp-table spam spam-stat gnus-uu yenc nndraft nnmh gnus-agent gnus-srvr
gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual gnus-msg gnus-art mm-uu mml2015
epg-config mm-view mml-smime smime dig mailcap utf-7 nnimap utf7
nnfolder parse-time gnus-cache gnus-sum bbdb-gnus netrc gnutls
network-stream starttls tls nntp gnus-group gnus-undo nnmail mail-source
nnoo tramp-cache tramp-sh tramp tramp-compat tramp-loaddefs trampver
gnus-start gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range message cl-macs gv rfc822 mml
mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win apropos time-stamp skeleton
cl-indent misearch multi-isearch help-mode add-log remember pig-mode
dired-aux python rx view vc-dir ewoc vc vc-dispatcher dired vc-hg vc-git
jka-compr edit-server-autoloads pig-mode-autoloads package midnight
ls-lisp warnings gnus gnus-ems nnheader mail-utils wid-edit bbdb-mua
bbdb-com crm mailabbrev bbdb-loaddefs bbdb bbdb-site timezone rcirc
server which-func imenu url-handlers url-parse auth-source eieio
byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cconv eieio-core gnus-util mm-util
mail-prsvr password-cache url-vars paren help-at-pt desktop frameset
cus-start cus-load ido ess-toolbar ess-mouse mouseme thingatpt
browse-url ess-menu ess-swv ess-noweb ess-noweb-font-lock-mode
ess-bugs-l essd-els ess-sas-d ess-sas-l ess-sas-a shell pcomplete
ess-sta-d ess-sta-l cc-vars cc-defs make-regexp ess-sp6-d ess-sp3-d
ess-julia ess-r-d compile ess-tracebug format-spec ess-roxy advice
hideshow ess-help ess-developer ess-r-args eldoc help-fns ess-s-l ess
ess-inf comint ansi-color ring ess-mode ess-noweb-mode ess-utils
ess-custom executable easymenu ess-compat ess-site cl cl-loaddefs cl-lib
time-date tooltip electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
mwheel ns-win tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar
rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak
czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer nadvice loaddefs button
faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64
format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote make-network-process cocoa ns multi-tty emacs)

-- 
Sam Steingold (http://sds.podval.org/) on darwin Ns 10.3.1265
http://www.childpsy.net/ http://www.PetitionOnline.com/tap12009/
http://honestreporting.com http://pmw.org.il http://truepeace.org
History doesn't repeat itself, but historians do repeat each other.