Subject: bug#16177: 24.3.50; Display glyphs for hard spaces in color

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 May 2021 07:39:19 +0200

"Sebastien Vauban" <[email-masked]> writes:

> well between quotes »...
>
> Before "high punctuation symbols" (such as ! and ?), it is a "common" nbsp
> (00A0): Hello ! How are you ?
>
> Problem #1:
>
> To get hard spaces (aka nbsp) highlighted, you need to add `spaces' to
> `whitespace-style':

[...]

> Narrow nbsp aren't highlighted.

(I'm going through old bug reports that unfortunately got little response at
the time.)

I guess this is a feature request to have whitespace-mode being able to
emphasise the space characters that aren't the normal ASCII space
separately.  That (surprisingly enough) doesn't seem to be an option?
And, indeed, whitespace-mode only knows about SPACE and NO-BREAK SPACE,
and none of the other space characters.

So I think a new whitespace-style should be added -- like `other-space',
for all the spaces that aren't SPACE.

However, the original impetus for doing this may be somewhat lessened by
Emacs now defaulting to highlighting other spaces in a different way by
default -- even without whitespace-mode.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no