Subject: bug#16174: 24.3.50; Segfault when compiling cedet/srecode/srt-mode.el

From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2013 20:26:37 -0500

Dmitry Gutov wrote:

> When compiling Emacs, it crashes at this exact same file. Restarting
> compilation or 'make bootsrap' doesn't fix it, but rebooting the
> machine does.
[...]
> No idea how to catch this crash in gdb, suggestions welcome.

Maybe I'm missing something, but if restarting compilation does not fix
it, simply run by hand in gdb the command that `make' runs. Ie, after
`make' crashes do:

cd src
gdb ./emacs
run -batch --no-site-file --no-site-lisp \
  --eval "(setq max-lisp-eval-depth 2200)" -f batch-byte-compile \
 ../lisp/cedet/srecode/srt-mode.el

> I tried to recompile it with CFLAGS="-Og -g3", and the crash also went
> away.

(gdb might not be too useful then.)