Subject: bug#16161: closed (Re: bug#16166: 24.3.50; can't use news.gmane.org with gnus and gnutls since r115532)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2013 17:37:04 +0000

Your bug report

#16166: 24.3.50; gnutls connections from Gnus no longer work after r115526

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
16166: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=16166
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#16166: 24.3.50; can't use news.gmane.org with gnus and gnutls since r115532
From: Ted Zlatanov <[email-masked]>
To: Nicolas Richard <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2013 12:37:59 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

No problem, thanks for the report.

Ted

Subject: 24.3.50; gnutls connections from Gnus no longer work after r115526
From: Nix <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2013 12:33:38 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Start Emacs with a Gmail mailbox as a foreign server (though I also see
failures with e.g. my work mailbox, so I suspect any SSL connection will
fail).

You are told 'cannot open server due to (wrong-type-argument listp
nil))'. Editing out the condition-case in gnus-open-server reveals the
backtrace below. I suspect the problem is the CHECK_LIST_CONS() in
gnutls-boot, which demands that verify-error is a cons, thus non-nil,
but I'm too unfamiliar with the code to be sure. I'll try diking it out
and see what happens.

gnutls-boot(#<process *nnimap*<1>> gnutls-x509pki (:priority "NORMAL" :hostname "imap.gmail.com" :loglevel 0 :min-prime-bits 256 :trustfiles ("/etc/ssl/ca-bundle.pem") :crlfiles nil :keylist nil :verify-flags nil :verify-error nil :callbacks nil))
  gnutls-negotiate(:process #<process *nnimap*<1>> :type gnutls-x509pki :hostname "imap.gmail.com")
  open-gnutls-stream("*nnimap*" #<buffer  *nnimap imap.gmail.com nil  *nntpd**-651747> "imap.gmail.com" "993")
  network-stream-open-tls("*nnimap*" #<buffer  *nnimap imap.gmail.com nil  *nntpd**-651747> "imap.gmail.com" "993" (:type ssl :return-list t :shell-command "ssh %s imapd" :capability-command "1 CAPABILITY\n" :end-of-command "\n" :success " OK " :starttls-function #[(capabilities) "\302\303\304\305#)\266\203\205\306\207" [capabilities inhibit-changing-match-data "STARTTLS" nil t string-match "1 STARTTLS\n"] 7]))
  open-protocol-stream("*nnimap*" #<buffer  *nnimap imap.gmail.com nil  *nntpd**-651747> "imap.gmail.com" "993" :type ssl :return-list t :shell-command "ssh %s imapd" :capability-command "1 CAPABILITY\n" :end-of-command "\n" :success " OK " :starttls-function #[(capabilities) "\302\303\304\305#)\266\203\205\306\207" [capabilities inhibit-changing-match-data "STARTTLS" nil t string-match "1 STARTTLS\n"] 7])
  nnimap-open-connection-1(#<buffer  *nntpd*>)
  nnimap-open-connection(#<buffer  *nntpd*>)
  nnimap-open-server("imap.gmail.com" ((nnimap-inbox "INBOX") (nnimap-stream ssl) (nnimap-fetch-partial-articles "text/")))
  funcall(nnimap-open-server "imap.gmail.com" ((nnimap-inbox "INBOX") (nnimap-stream ssl) (nnimap-fetch-partial-articles "text/")))
  (let* ((open-server-function (gnus-get-function gnus-command-method (quote open-server))) (result (funcall open-server-function (nth 1 gnus-command-method) (nthcdr 2 gnus-command-method))) open-offline) (if elem nil (setq elem (list gnus-command-method nil) gnus-opened-servers (cons elem gnus-opened-servers))) (setcar (cdr elem) (cond (result (if (eq open-server-function (quote nnagent-open-server)) (quote offline) (quote ok))) ((and gnus-agent (gnus-agent-method-p gnus-command-method)) (cond (gnus-server-unopen-status (setq open-offline (eq gnus-server-unopen-status ...)) gnus-server-unopen-status) ((not gnus-batch-mode) (setq open-offline t) (quote offline)) (t (quote denied)))) (t (quote denied)))) (if open-offline (let ((gnus-server-unopen-status (quote denied))) (gnus-open-server gnus-command-method)) (if (and (eq (cadr elem) (quote ok)) gnus-agent (gnus-agent-method-p gnus-command-method)) (progn (save-excursion (gnus-agent-possibly-synchronize-flags-server gnus-command-method)))) (gnus-backend-trace :opened gnus-command-method) result))
  (if (eq (nth 1 elem) (quote denied)) (progn (gnus-message 1 "Server %s previously determined to be down; not retrying" server) nil) (let* ((open-server-function (gnus-get-function gnus-command-method (quote open-server))) (result (funcall open-server-function (nth 1 gnus-command-method) (nthcdr 2 gnus-command-method))) open-offline) (if elem nil (setq elem (list gnus-command-method nil) gnus-opened-servers (cons elem gnus-opened-servers))) (setcar (cdr elem) (cond (result (if (eq open-server-function (quote nnagent-open-server)) (quote offline) (quote ok))) ((and gnus-agent (gnus-agent-method-p gnus-command-method)) (cond (gnus-server-unopen-status (setq open-offline ...) gnus-server-unopen-status) ((not gnus-batch-mode) (setq open-offline t) (quote offline)) (t (quote denied)))) (t (quote denied)))) (if open-offline (let ((gnus-server-unopen-status (quote denied))) (gnus-open-server gnus-command-method)) (if (and (eq (cadr elem) (quote ok)) gnus-agent (gnus-agent-method-p gnus-command-method)) (progn (save-excursion (gnus-agent-possibly-synchronize-flags-server gnus-command-method)))) (gnus-backend-trace :opened gnus-command-method) result)))
  (let ((elem (assoc gnus-command-method gnus-opened-servers)) (server (gnus-method-to-server-name gnus-command-method))) (if (eq (nth 1 elem) (quote denied)) (progn (gnus-message 1 "Server %s previously determined to be down; not retrying" server) nil) (let* ((open-server-function (gnus-get-function gnus-command-method (quote open-server))) (result (funcall open-server-function (nth 1 gnus-command-method) (nthcdr 2 gnus-command-method))) open-offline) (if elem nil (setq elem (list gnus-command-method nil) gnus-opened-servers (cons elem gnus-opened-servers))) (setcar (cdr elem) (cond (result (if (eq open-server-function ...) (quote offline) (quote ok))) ((and gnus-agent (gnus-agent-method-p gnus-command-method)) (cond (gnus-server-unopen-status ... gnus-server-unopen-status) (... ... ...) (t ...))) (t (quote denied)))) (if open-offline (let ((gnus-server-unopen-status (quote denied))) (gnus-open-server gnus-command-method)) (if (and (eq (cadr elem) (quote ok)) gnus-agent (gnus-agent-method-p gnus-command-method)) (progn (save-excursion (gnus-agent-possibly-synchronize-flags-server gnus-command-method)))) (gnus-backend-trace :opened gnus-command-method) result))))
  gnus-open-server((nnimap "imap.gmail.com" (nnimap-inbox "INBOX") (nnimap-stream ssl) (nnimap-fetch-partial-articles "text/")))
  gnus-get-unread-articles(nil nil nil)
  gnus-group-get-new-news(nil)
  call-interactively(gnus-group-get-new-news nil nil)
  command-execute(gnus-group-get-new-news)

In GNU Emacs 24.3.50.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars)
 of 2013-12-16 on spindle
Bzr revision: 115543 [email-masked]
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11402902
System LSB Version:	:core-4.1-amd64:core-4.1-noarch

Configured using:
 `configure --without-pop --without-kerberos --without-hesiod
 --without-mmdf --with-x-toolkit=lucid --with-wide-int
 --with-file-notification=inotify NO_FAST_MATH=t
 'CFLAGS=-Wstrict-overflow=1 -g -gdwarf-4 -feliminate-dwarf2-dups
 -feliminate-unused-debug-types -fvar-tracking-assignments -O2
 -D__NO_STRING_INLINES -D__NO_MATH_INLINES -D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE'
 'CPPFLAGS=-D__NO_STRING_INLINES -D__NO_MATH_INLINES
 -D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE' 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,--enable-new-dtags
 -Wl,--hash-style=gnu -Wl,-O1 -Wl,-z,relro ''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_COLLATE: C
  value of $LANG: en_GB.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Group

Minor modes in effect:
  semantic-minor-modes-format: ((:eval (if (or semantic-highlight-edits-mode semantic-show-unmatched-syntax-mode)  S)))
  gnus-topic-mode: t
  gnus-undo-mode: t
  icicle-mode: t
  minibuffer-depth-indicate-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  global-semantic-mru-bookmark-mode: t
  global-semanticdb-minor-mode: t
  global-semantic-decoration-mode: t
  global-semantic-idle-scheduler-mode: t
  global-semantic-idle-local-symbol-highlight-mode: t
  global-semantic-idle-summary-mode: t
  global-srecode-minor-mode: t
  global-ede-mode: t
  global-auto-complete-mode: t
  global-cwarn-mode: t
  global-semantic-highlight-func-mode: t
  global-semantic-stickyfunc-mode: t
  semantic-mode: t
  compile-bookmarks-mode: t
  global-git-gutter-mode: t
  icomplete-mode: t
  Info-breadcrumbs-in-mode-line-mode: t
  global-undo-tree-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  mv-shell-mode: t
  timeclock-mode-line-display: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  which-function-mode: t
  winner-mode: t
  desktop-save-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  image-diredx-async-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t

Recent input:
SPC C-a C-u C-SPC C-s M U S T <right> <S-up> <S-up> 
<S-up> <S-up> <S-up> <S-up> <S-up> <S-up> <S-up> <S-up> 
<S-up> <S-up> <S-up> <S-up> <S-up> <S-up> <S-up> <S-up> 
<S-up> <S-up> <S-up> <S-up> <S-up> <up> <up> <up> <up> 
<up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> 
<up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> 
<up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <down> <down> 
<tab> C-/ <up> <up> C-c j C-e <backspace> <down> <tab> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <up> <up> <up> C-x 
C-e C-x M-b <right> <up> O <escape> : <up> <up> <return> 
<down> <up> O <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> 
<right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> 
<up> C-x b <return> g <right> <right> <right> <right> 
<right> <right> <right> <down> <end> <home> <down> 
<right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> 
<right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> 
<right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> 
<right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> 
<right> <right> <right> <up> <home> <right> <right> 
<right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> 
<right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> 
<right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> 
<right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> 
<right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> 
<right> C-x 5 b * G r <tab> <return> <down-mouse-1> 
<mouse-1> C-x 5 b * C-g <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> M-x 
r e p o r t - e m a c s - b u <tab> <return> <right> 
<right> <prior> <down> <down> <down> C-x k <return> 
y e s <return> M-x <up> <return>

Recent messages:
Checking 261 files in /usr/share/emacs/24.3.50/lisp/gnus...
Checking 57 files in /usr/share/emacs/24.3.50/lisp/eshell...
Checking 70 files in /usr/share/emacs/24.3.50/lisp/erc...
Checking 48 files in /usr/share/emacs/24.3.50/lisp/emulation...
Checking 153 files in /usr/share/emacs/24.3.50/lisp/emacs-lisp...
Checking 24 files in /usr/share/emacs/24.3.50/lisp/cedet...
Checking 57 files in /usr/share/emacs/24.3.50/lisp/calendar...
Checking 87 files in /usr/share/emacs/24.3.50/lisp/calc...
Checking 91 files in /usr/share/emacs/24.3.50/lisp/obsolete...
Checking for load-path shadows...done

Load-path shadows:
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/.el-get/package/elpa/vline-20120108.1245/vline hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/.el-get/vline/vline
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/.el-get/full-ack/.dir-locals hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/.el-get/el-get/.dir-locals
/home/nix/lisp/defaults hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/defaults
/home/nix/lisp/emacs/site-wide/site-start hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start
/home/nix/lisp/emacs/site-wide/default hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/default
/home/nix/lisp/emacs/site-wide/scroll-in-place hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/scroll-in-place
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/el-get/recipes/emacswiki/ange-ftp hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3.50/lisp/net/ange-ftp
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/.el-get/full-ack/.dir-locals hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3.50/lisp/gnus/.dir-locals
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emms/tq hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3.50/lisp/emacs-lisp/tq

Features:
(shadow gnus-cite nnir emacsbug vc-bzr image-file utf-7 debug misearch
multi-isearch gnus-topic mm-archive url-http url-gw url-cache url-auth
url-handlers nndraft nnrss xml gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score
score-mode nnvirtual gnus-msg gnutls nnimap parse-time utf7 nnmh
nnfolder gnus-cache bbdb-gnus bbdb-snarf netrc gnus-demon nntp
dot-gnus-mail gnus-registry registry dot-gnus-splits nnmairix nnml
mm-url smtpmail gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime dig
dot-gnus-articles dot-gnus-sa background gnus-sum nnoo gnus-group
gnus-undo nnmail mail-source dot-gnus-bbdb dot-gnus-colourization tc
mail-extr gnus-start gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range gnus-win gnus
gnus-ems nnheader el-get el-get-autoloads el-get-list-packages
el-get-notify el-get-dependencies el-get-build el-get-status
el-get-recipes el-get-byte-compile el-get-methods el-get-fossil
el-get-svn el-get-pacman el-get-github-zip el-get-github-tar
el-get-http-zip el-get-http-tar el-get-hg el-get-git-svn el-get-fink
el-get-emacswiki el-get-http el-get-emacsmirror el-get-github el-get-git
el-get-elpa el-get-darcs el-get-cvs el-get-bzr el-get-brew
el-get-builtin el-get-apt-get el-get-custom el-get-core face-remap
server epa-file epa derived epg epg-config semantic/texi tex-info
texinfo semantic/tag-file semantic/imenu semantic/sb semantic/db-file
data-debug cedet-files semantic/bovine/c semantic/decorate/include
hideif semantic/bovine/c-by semantic/lex-spp semantic/bovine/gcc
semantic/dep semantic/bovine semantic/analyze/refs semantic/analyze
semantic/sort semantic/scope semantic/analyze/fcn cc-langs generic
ede/emacs vc-git checkdoc eldoc elisp-slime-nav etags ede/dired
jka-compr compilation-recenter-end-autoloads compile-bookmarks-autoloads
fold-dwim-autoloads fringe-helper-autoloads image+-autoloads
image-dired+-autoloads iresize-autoloads inflections-autoloads
mv-shell-autoloads vline-autoloads yasnippet-bundle-autoloads
site-default two-column icicles icicles-mode bookmark+ bookmark+-key
crosshairs col-highlight vline hl-line+ hl-line bookmark+-1
bookmark+-bmu bookmark+-lit bookmark dired+ dired-x dired-aux mb-depth+
mb-depth icicles-cmd2 icicles-cmd1 icicles-mcmd doremi icicles-fn
icicles-var apropos-fn+var icicles-opt fuzzy-match el-swank-fuzzy
levenshtein fuzzy cus-theme hexrgb icicles-face dot-emacs
dot-emacs-emacs savehist xemacs-compat add-log misc init-music
network-stream starttls tls emms-volume emms-volume-amixer emms-history
emms-bookmarks emms-metaplaylist-mode emms-browser sort
emms-playlist-sort emms-last-played emms-playing-time emms-stream-info
emms-streams emms-mode-line emms-cache emms-info later-do
emms-playlist-limit emms-playlist-mode emms-player-mpd tq
emms-player-simple emms-source-playlist emms-source-file emms
emms-compat init-message-modes ede/cpp-root bbdb-expire bbdb-hooks
bbdb-com silly-mail sendmail message rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mailabbrev mail-utils gmm-utils mailheader init-time-tracking
timeclock-visualize sgml-mode url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand
url-methods url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util mailcap
auto-edit-substitute init-prog-modes init-prog-modes-emacs filecache
diminish paren inversion semantic/db-global semantic/symref/global
semantic/symref semantic/db-find semantic/db-ref cedet-global
semantic/mru-bookmark semantic/db-mode semantic/db
semantic/decorate/mode semantic/idle srecode/mode semantic/senator
semantic/format semantic/ctxt semantic/wisent semantic/wisent/wisent
semantic/decorate pulse srecode/insert srecode/filters srecode/args
srecode/find srecode/map srecode/ctxt semantic/tag-ls semantic/find
srecode/compile srecode/dictionary srecode/table ede/speedbar ede/files
ede ede/base ede/auto ede/source eieio-base eieio-speedbar speedbar
sb-image ezimage dframe eieio-custom auto-complete-config auto-complete
popup yasnippet-bundle dropdown-list yasnippet assoc cwarn srecode
semantic/util-modes semantic/util semantic semantic/tag semantic/lex
semantic/fw mode-local cedet htmlfontify cus-edit cus-start cus-load
compile-bookmarks compile git-gutter-fringe fringe-helper git-gutter
gtags gpicker ffap url-parse url-vars font-latex latex edmacro kmacro
tex-style tex cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles
cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs miniedit wide-n icomplete+ icomplete
menu-bar+ apropos+ apropos help-fns+ help+ frame-fns avoid easy-mmode
info+ thingatpt+ thingatpt mouse3 naked undo-tree diff site-start-load
gawd-keys finder finder-inf find-func gawd-keys-emacs gawd-navigation
ace-jump-mode gawd-mode-frobs gawd-mode-frobs-emacs windmove tramp-cache
tramp-sh recentf tree-widget wid-edit mv-shell printing ps-print ps-def
lpr uptimes bbdb timezone timeclock term disp-table ehelp tramp
tramp-compat auth-source eieio eieio-core gnus-util mm-util mail-prsvr
password-cache tramp-loaddefs trampver shell pcomplete comint ansi-color
hideshow filladapt gawd-faces gawd-faces-emacs nix-dark-theme gawd-misc
gawd-misc-emacs which-func imenu winner time-date gawd-lists
bbdb-autoloads magit-autoloads desktop frameset generic-x time
scroll-in-place site-start-emacs site-autoloads .loaddefs image-dired+
byte-opt image-dired format-spec advice warnings cl-macs gv help-mode pp
autoload help-fns lisp-mnt bytecomp byte-compile cconv cl cl-loaddefs
cl-lib dired info auctex-autoloads tex-site package emms-auto w3m-load
ring filesets easymenu flash-paren saveplace tooltip electric uniquify
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd
fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar
mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev
minibuffer nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process
dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)

-- 
NULL && (void)