Subject: Re: bug#16163: 24.3.50; segfault at xdisp.c 20044 -- (can not reproduce)

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2013 19:01:50 +0200

> From: Nicolas Richard <[email-masked]>
> Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2013 15:45:54 +0100
> 
> I'm on trunk, and I had just pressed keys to run magit-status when this
> happened. Unfortunately my terminal window had a limit on the size of
> its history, so I lost the beginning of the gdb session.

To avoid such a loss, turn on logging inside GDB:

 (gdb) set logging on

Then everything GDB outputs will be echoed to a file named gdb.txt by
default.

> In the source at xdisp.c:20044 the code is :
> 	    row->glyphs[TEXT_AREA]->charpos = CHARPOS (it->position);
> 
> (gdb) bt
> #0  0x0809019e in display_line (it=0xbfff9898) at xdisp.c:20044
> #1  0x0809779f in try_window (window=165787789, pos=..., flags=1) at xdisp.c:16505

Not much to go by here, unfortunately.  You didn't even tell which
part of the above segfaulted: was it row->glyphs,
row->glyphs[TEXT_AREA]->charpos, or it->position?  Otherwise, what I
see as a routine redisplay cycle.

In addition, this seems to be an optimized build, so backtraces are
unreliable.  Please try reproducing this in an unoptimized build.

Thanks.