Subject: Re: bug#16155: 24.3.50;

From: Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Dec 2013 00:49:32 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 23 Dec 2013, Stefan Monnier wrote:

>> Are those programming modes?  Maybe you're right for programming modes,
>> but you made the change for Text modes too.

> I'm not sure if/why there should be a difference.  Maybe the behavior
> needs to be adjusted for text-mode (i.e. for the case where
> indent-line-function is `indent-relative'), but I don't think it applies
> to all text modes (e.g. latex-mode, nxml-mode, ...).

There is a difference.  I think this change (which to be explicit, is the
swapping of the actions of the key bindings RET and C-j) should be made 
for programming modes only right now.  Or possibly with certain specific 
other modes which are "like" programming modes.  But in text-mode, RET 
should not indent and C-j should (regardless of what a user 
may have installed on indent-line-function).  If there is demand for 
this swap in other modes, we can always add it later.

>        Stefan

-- 
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).