Subject: Re: bug#16155: 24.3.50;

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2013 08:31:19 -0500

[ How did you end up with [email-masked] in the "To:"
  field?  ]

>>> Again, the question: why should `newline' indent when we've got the
>>> specific command `newline-and-indent'?
>> Because apparently most users like it.  You don't, so turn it off in
>> your ~/.emacs.
> I cannot see how to achieve the result I want by tweaking my .emacs.  What
> I want is this:
> o - with electric-indent-mode enabled.
> o - with ?\n a member of electric-indent-chars.
> o - `newline-and-indent' will indent both the current line and the new line.
> o - `newline' will indent only the current line
> Comments?

Indeed, I don't think you can get the above behavior by "tweaking" your
~/.emacs.  Is the above a new need, or is that a behavior you used to
have, and if so how did you get it before?

        Stefan