Subject: RE: bug#16155: 24.3.50;

From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2013 14:39:53 -0800 (PST)

> Was a proper poll of users ever conducted?  I don't think so.
> The first pretest would be a good opportunity to do that.

+1

I just picked up a new development build, where `electric-indent-mode'
is enabled by default.  FWIW, I'm afraid I'm with Alan and Jarek (and
RMS?) on this: I have turned it off.  In `emacs-lisp-mode', especially,
I want `C-j' to do `newline-and-indent', and I want `RET' to do only
`newline'.

As for the documentation in NEWS: This is all there is:

   `electric-indent-mode' is enabled by default.

I was looking for something about `newline' or `C-j' or `RET' in
programming modes (lisp modes, in particular), so I didn't find this
entry right away.  I suggest that you (a) explain this a little more
and (b) make it easier to find.

Mention, for example, that `C-j' and `RET' are, in effect, swapped
now from what they have always been.  At least that is true as a
first approximation - I have no idea what other "interesting" changes
this change in default behavior brings about.  And I won't bother
to find out - I just added this to my init file:

 (when (fboundp 'electric-indent-mode) (electric-indent-mode -1))

---

It's interesting that a giant brouhaha was made about seeing what
changes users might want, to existing defaults, by: (a) checking
the features and modes reported automatically in bug reports and
(b) initiating a user poll on Emacs Wiki.

And yet none of that data (however flakey or incomplete) was
considered in deciding to make this change in default behavior.
Whyzat?

How many users actually reported (measured any way you like) that
they wanted the default behavior to change to what you've changed
it to?  Well, we cannot really count the Emacs Wiki poll, because
it was taken after you changed the default!  Even so, only 10%
(12 people) reported there that they use it - even though it is
now the default!

http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/FrequentlyEnabledPackages_Emacs244_Survey_Results

No, the Emacs Wiki poll is not a great poll.  But do tell:
Among the bug reports received before you changed the default
value, how many users actually had `electric-indent-mode'
turned on?  Just curious.

Anyway, you decided - end of story.  Not a big deal -
just one more.  I've updated my init file to compensate.