Subject: bug#16154: Emacs crashes if $HOME isn't writable

From: Achim Gratz <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2013 12:40:25 +0100

Reinhard Kotucha writes:
>    Creating directory: permission denied, //.emacs.d/
>
> and refuses to do anything useful.  It's on purpose that user 'nobody'
> doesn't have a writable HOME directory.

It looks like nobody doesn't have a non-writable HOME, but no HOME at
all (or "/") on your system.

> It would be better if Emacs can be used even if the HOME directory
> isn't writable.  

Well, in my testing Emacs works (giving just a warning about the
non-writable .emacs.d and then moving on), both 24.3 and trunk from a
few days back.  Perhaps you have something in site-lisp that assumes a
writable ~/.emacs.d?

Regards,
Achim.
-- 
+<[Q+ Matrix-12 WAVE#46+305 Neuron microQkb Andromeda XTk Blofeld]>+

SD adaptation for Waldorf microQ V2.22R2:
http://Synth.Stromeko.net/Downloads.html#WaldorfSDada