Subject: Emacs crashes if $HOME isn't writable

From: Reinhard Kotucha <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2013 08:59:25 +0100

Hi,
when I do (as root)

   su nobody
   VISUAL=/usr/local/bin/emacs-24.3 crontab -e

Emacs says

   Creating directory: permission denied, //.emacs.d/

and refuses to do anything useful.  It's on purpose that user 'nobody'
doesn't have a writable HOME directory.

My current workaround is to put the lines

  if [[ ${LOGNAME} == 'nobody' ]]; then
    EDITOR=vim
  else
    EDITOR=emacs
  fi
 
into /etc/bashrc.

It would be better if Emacs can be used even if the HOME directory
isn't writable.  

vim allows me to edit the crontab and issues a warning 

  E138: Can't write viminfo file /.viminfo!

afterwards end but emacs refuses to do anything useful if $HOME isn't
writable. 

Regards,
  Reinhard

-- 
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reinhard Kotucha                                      Phone: +49-511-3373112
Marschnerstr. 25
D-30167 Hannover                              mailto:[email-masked]
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Microsoft isn't the answer. Microsoft is the question, and the answer is NO.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------