Subject: bug#16154: Emacs crashes if $HOME isn't writable

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2013 22:17:27 +0200

> From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>, Achim Gratz <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
> Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2013 14:47:46 -0500
> 
> 
> Not sure why you guys are saying this works in 24.3, because I only
> fixed this in trunk semi-recently:
> 
> http://debbugs.gnu.org/13930
> 
> Ie, this should be fixed in 24.4.

"This" being what?

> Of course, "refuses to do anything useful" is very vague, so I have no
> way to test whatever the OP was seeing works now.

I assumed that "refuses to do anything useful" means you cannot visit
a file, edit it, and save it.  That works for me, both in 24.3 and the
current trunk.  FWIW, I did

   HOME=/whatever emacs -Q

and in that session I could visit files, edit them, and save them.
Sure, Emacs bitched at me at startup, but that's it.