Subject: bug#16145: closed (Re: bug#16145: ERC disregards data to be logged when reconnecting )

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2014 19:32:02 +0000

Your bug report

#16145: ERC disregards data to be logged when reconnecting 

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
16145: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=16145
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#16145: ERC disregards data to be logged when reconnecting
From: Ivan Shmakov <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2014 19:31:02 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Version: 24.5

	I no longer observe the issue (as of 2014-11-18 build,
	cb4f666ade76.)  Per my reading of the Git log, it was fixed in
	Git master back this October:

commit 43f52995ea9d4846c84f81d64107314a6577e595
Author:     Ivan Shmakov <[email-masked]>
AuthorDate: Fri Oct 10 09:16:12 2014 -0400
Commit:     Kelvin White <[email-masked]>
CommitDate: Fri Oct 10 09:16:12 2014 -0400

    Only initialize erc-last-saved-position if not already a marker.
    
    Fixes: debbugs:16145

	In emacs-24, this bug was fixed as part of the following
	“backport” change:

commit d1036d288de1e047f7f6043188a1063f0d6b044d
Author:     l3thal <l3thal@debian>
AuthorDate: Sat Nov 8 20:51:43 2014 -0500
Commit:     l3thal <l3thal@debian>
CommitDate: Sat Nov 8 20:51:43 2014 -0500

    backport: erc bugfixes

-- 
FSF associate member #7257  http://boycottsystemd.org/  … 3013 B6A0 230E 334A

Subject: ERC disregards data to be logged when reconnecting
From: Ivan Shmakov <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2013 14:43:35 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

	Upon reconnecting to the server, erc-connect-pre-hook is run,
	which, by default, results in erc-initialize-log-marker being
	called, and the erc-last-saved-position marker reinitialized.

	The problem is that no calls to erc-save-buffer-in-logs are made
	when the connection is closed, resulting in the entire previous
	ERC session silently disregarded, and never saved in the logs.

	Presuming that erc-initialize-log-marker was really meant to
	only initialize erc-last-saved-position when there’s none, my
	suggestion would be for it to be amended with an appropriate
	‘unless’ guard.

	Alternatively (or perhaps complementarily), a call to
	erc-log-save-all-buffers may be added to the
	erc-disconnected-hook’s default value.  (Please note that this
	alone, however, may be less reliable a measure.)

-- 
FSF associate member #7257