Subject: Re: bug#16116: 24.3.50; smie-indent-close aligns inner closing paren with the outer opening paren

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2013 18:30:39 +0200

On 12.12.2013 14:55, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> Well, it does look right to me, because that line closes the whole construct.

Here are some arguments on why it's wrong:

- It deforms the last array literal and breaks the symmetry with the 
previous one.

- If it emphasizes the fact that the construct is closed, why doesn't it 
align the opening and closing round parens, and aligns delimiters from 
different sexps instead?

- What about the following example? The last line likewise closes the 
whole construct, but we don't indent it to the 0th column, right?

foo(
   a,
   b,
   c)

- Likewise, this example:

foo([a,
      b])

- Indentation functions usually don't care about tokens that go after 
the first one after indentation. I'm used to that. For example, take 
js-mode. It handles the initial example differently, but compare this 
one under both modes:

foo([a,
      b
     ])

js-mode indents it as I would expect.

- If I want to emphasize the closing of the whole construct, I can put 
the closing paren on a separate line.