Subject: Re: bug#16115: 24.3.50; doc string of `display-buffer-in-side-window' - there is no SIDE arg

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2013 14:09:33 +0200

> Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2013 12:23:29 +0100
> From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
> CC: [email-masked], [email-masked]
> 
>  >> Are there any guides for [installing Git] with Emacs on Windows?
>  >
>  > Depends on whether you want to use VC or external packages.
> 
> IIUC I have to install Git first.

Well, of course.  I didn't think you needed a guide for that.  There's
only one such package for Windows anyway.

> What would be different after I have done that?

You need to configure it to work with Emacs, or configure Emacs to
work with Git, because you must run Git via MSYS Bash, unlike what you
probably do with other programs you invoke from Emacs on Windows.

> What does VC stand for in this regard

The usual VC stuff from Emacs is what I meant.

> and which are the external packages I would need?

If you are fine with what Emacs has in lisp/vc/, then none.  (Well,
perhaps grab my port of git-merge-changelog.)  Otherwise, there are a
few Git front ends floating around, and I'm sure their respective
enthusiasts here will speak up shortly.