Subject: 24.3.50; Crash of emacs --daemon on killing X server

From: Nix <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Dec 2013 15:58:11 +0000

Start emacs --daemon (using the lucid toolkit), under X. Shut X down.
Emacs crashes shortly afterwards.

The lack of symbol table info is concerning (obviously my gdb has
forgotten how to look up separated debug info *yet again*), but I don't
think that important, since the death site is after a (garbage-collect)
thus not in Lisp-land anyway. Obviously no xbacktrace is possible: the
process is dead.

It is fairly clear that we should not be calling xftfont_close() if the
X server is not there! Why has this started happening?

#0  0x00007f3b87dfc82b in raise () from /lib/libpthread.so.0
No symbol table info available.
#1  0x00000000004d8208 in terminate_due_to_signal ()
No symbol table info available.
#2  0x00000000004f1583 in emacs_abort ()
No symbol table info available.
#3  0x000000000054b970 in Fsignal ()
No symbol table info available.
#4  0x000000000054b989 in xsignal ()
No symbol table info available.
#5  0x000000000054c0f7 in xsignal1 ()
No symbol table info available.
#6  0x000000000047ad25 in Fcheck_coding_system ()
No symbol table info available.
#7  0x000000000048e540 in code_convert_string ()
No symbol table info available.
#8  0x0000000000508612 in Fexpand_file_name ()
No symbol table info available.
#9  0x0000000000507ec8 in Fexpand_file_name ()
No symbol table info available.
#10 0x000000000050cf3b in Fdo_auto_save ()
No symbol table info available.
#11 0x00000000004d802b in shut_down_emacs ()
No symbol table info available.
#12 0x00000000004d81d9 in terminate_due_to_signal ()
No symbol table info available.
#13 0x00000000004f08c8 in deliver_fatal_thread_signal ()
No symbol table info available.
#14 <signal handler called>
No symbol table info available.
#15 xcb_generate_id (c=0x0) at xcb_xid.c:44
        ret = <optimized out>
        __PRETTY_FUNCTION__ = "xcb_generate_id"
#16 0x00007f3b8b7a207f in _XAllocIDs (dpy=0x7dfd530, ids=<optimized out>, count=<optimized out>) at xcb_io.c:545
        i = <optimized out>
#17 0x00007f3b8b7a20ee in _XIDHandler (dpy=<optimized out>) at xcb_io.c:522
No locals.
#18 0x00007f3b8b7a4ca7 in _XPrivSyncFunction (dpy=0x7dfd530) at XlibInt.c:252
No locals.
#19 0x00007f3b8b7819c4 in XCreatePixmap (dpy=dpy@entry=0x7dfd530, d=712, width=width@entry=1, height=height@entry=1, depth=depth@entry=24) at CrPixmap.c:58
        pid = 98771741
        req = <optimized out>
#20 0x00007f3b8b55ccd9 in XRenderHasDepths (dpy=0x7dfd530) at Xrender.c:161
        p = <optimized out>
        dc = {next = 0x0, dpy = 0x7dfd530, missing = 0, serial = 18809308}
        dp = <optimized out>
        previousHandler = 0x4b4e20 <x_error_handler>
        depths = <optimized out>
        missing = <optimized out>
        scr = <optimized out>
        d = <optimized out>
        s = <optimized out>
#21 XRenderExtAddDisplay (dpy=0x7dfd530, extinfo=<optimized out>, ext_name=<optimized out>) at Xrender.c:202
        dpyinfo = 0x89c9120
        ext_name = 0x7f3b8b75f160 <XRenderExtensionName> "RENDER"
        extinfo = 0x7f3b8b75f280 <XRenderExtensionInfo>
#22 XRenderFindDisplay (dpy=0x7dfd530) at Xrender.c:289
No locals.
#23 XRenderFindDisplay (dpy=dpy@entry=0x7dfd530) at Xrender.c:283
        dpyinfo = 0x1
#24 0x00007f3b8b558f0e in XRenderFreeGlyphSet (dpy=0x7dfd530, glyphset=98566201) at Glyph.c:71
        info = <optimized out>
        req = <optimized out>
#25 0x00007f3b8b34bf70 in XftFontDestroy (dpy=0x7dfd530, public=0x8641460) at xftfreetype.c:1046
        info = <optimized out>
        font = 0x8641460
        i = <optimized out>
#26 0x00000000005ab133 in xftfont_close ()
---Type <return> to continue, or q <return> to quit---
No symbol table info available.
#27 0x0000000000533b08 in Fgarbage_collect ()
No symbol table info available.
#28 0x000000000054aca2 in Ffuncall ()
No symbol table info available.
#29 0x000000000057ed93 in exec_byte_code ()
No symbol table info available.
#30 0x000000000054a306 in eval_sub ()
No symbol table info available.
#31 0x000000000054d119 in internal_lisp_condition_case ()
No symbol table info available.
#32 0x000000000057ff97 in exec_byte_code ()
No symbol table info available.
#33 0x000000000054a961 in funcall_lambda ()
No symbol table info available.
#34 0x000000000054accb in Ffuncall ()
No symbol table info available.
#35 0x000000000057ed93 in exec_byte_code ()
No symbol table info available.
#36 0x000000000054a961 in funcall_lambda ()
No symbol table info available.
#37 0x000000000054accb in Ffuncall ()
No symbol table info available.
#38 0x000000000054bd9b in Fapply ()
No symbol table info available.
#39 0x000000000054ad99 in Ffuncall ()
No symbol table info available.
#40 0x000000000057ed93 in exec_byte_code ()
No symbol table info available.
#41 0x000000000054a306 in eval_sub ()
No symbol table info available.
#42 0x000000000054d119 in internal_lisp_condition_case ()
No symbol table info available.
#43 0x000000000057ff97 in exec_byte_code ()
No symbol table info available.
#44 0x000000000054a961 in funcall_lambda ()
No symbol table info available.
#45 0x000000000054accb in Ffuncall ()
No symbol table info available.
#46 0x000000000054b0aa in call1 ()
No symbol table info available.
#47 0x00000000004dda26 in timer_check ()
No symbol table info available.
#48 0x00000000004ddde9 in readable_events ()
No symbol table info available.
#49 0x00000000004df2e8 in get_input_pending ()
No symbol table info available.
#50 0x00000000004e24dc in detect_input_pending_run_timers ()
No symbol table info available.
#51 0x0000000000587099 in wait_reading_process_output ()
No symbol table info available.
#52 0x00000000004df873 in read_decoded_event_from_main_queue ()
No symbol table info available.
#53 0x00000000004e368d in read_char ()
No symbol table info available.
#54 0x00000000004e4c24 in read_key_sequence.constprop.38 ()
No symbol table info available.
#55 0x00000000004e5f81 in command_loop_1 ()
No symbol table info available.
#56 0x0000000000549275 in internal_condition_case ()
No symbol table info available.
#57 0x00000000004daa5e in command_loop_2 ()
No symbol table info available.
#58 0x000000000054917b in internal_catch ()
No symbol table info available.
#59 0x00000000004dcb47 in recursive_edit_1 ()
No symbol table info available.
#60 0x00000000004dce42 in Frecursive_edit ()
---Type <return> to continue, or q <return> to quit---
No symbol table info available.
#61 0x00000000004134e5 in main ()
No symbol table info available.

In GNU Emacs 24.3.50.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars)
 of 2013-11-25 on spindle
Bzr revision: 115223 [email-masked]
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11402902
System LSB Version:	:core-4.1-amd64:core-4.1-noarch

Configured using:
 `configure --without-pop --without-kerberos --without-hesiod
 --without-mmdf --with-x-toolkit=lucid --with-wide-int
 --with-file-notification=inotify NO_FAST_MATH=t
 'CFLAGS=-Wstrict-overflow=1 -g -gdwarf-4 -feliminate-dwarf2-dups
 -feliminate-unused-debug-types -fvar-tracking-assignments -O2
 -D__NO_STRING_INLINES -D__NO_MATH_INLINES -D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE'
 'CPPFLAGS=-D__NO_STRING_INLINES -D__NO_MATH_INLINES
 -D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE' 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,--enable-new-dtags
 -Wl,--hash-style=gnu -Wl,-O1 -Wl,-z,relro ''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_COLLATE: C
  value of $LANG: en_GB.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Summary

Minor modes in effect:
  gnus-mailing-list-mode: t
  icicle-mode: t
  minibuffer-depth-indicate-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  global-semantic-mru-bookmark-mode: t
  global-semanticdb-minor-mode: t
  global-semantic-decoration-mode: t
  global-semantic-idle-scheduler-mode: t
  global-semantic-idle-local-symbol-highlight-mode: t
  global-semantic-idle-summary-mode: t
  global-srecode-minor-mode: t
  global-ede-mode: t
  global-auto-complete-mode: t
  global-cwarn-mode: t
  global-semantic-highlight-func-mode: t
  global-semantic-stickyfunc-mode: t
  semantic-mode: t
  compile-bookmarks-mode: t
  global-git-gutter-mode: t
  icomplete-mode: t
  Info-breadcrumbs-in-mode-line-mode: t
  global-undo-tree-mode: t
  undo-tree-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  mv-shell-mode: t
  timeclock-mode-line-display: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  which-function-mode: t
  winner-mode: t
  desktop-save-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  image-diredx-async-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t

Recent input:
SPC m y SPC t o d o SPC l i s t SPC i s SPC l i k e 
. <down> <right> <up> C-c C-c <switch-frame> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> C-x 
5 b * G r <tab> <return> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> 
<up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <prior> <up> 
<up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> 
<up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <down> C-s e m a c s 
<left> <down> <down> <down> M-g M-g <up> <up> <return> 
<return> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> 
<switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> C-d <down> 
C-x M-b <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> 
<right> <right> <down> <return> <return> <switch-frame> 
<down> # # # # <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<right> <up> <up> <up> <right> <right> <right> <right> 
<right> <right> <right> <right> <down> # <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <up> 
<right> # B m U n r e l a t e d / B u <tab> <return> 
<switch-frame> C-s d a e m o n C-s <right> <return> 
n <up> <return> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-movement> <mouse-1> 
<next> <next> <prior> <next> <next> <next> <next> <next> 
<next> <next> <next> <next> <next> <next> <next> <next> 
<next> <next> <prior> <prior> <prior> <prior> <prior> 
<prior> <prior> <prior> <prior> <prior> <prior> <prior> 
<prior> <prior> <prior> <prior> <next> <switch-frame> 
<switch-frame> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> 
<right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> h <right> 
<right> C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s <right> <right> <right> 
q <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> 
C-x M-b <right> C-x b * S u <tab> m <tab> e <tab> <backspace> 
<return> <left> <left> <up> M S-SPC M-x r e p o r t 
- e m a c - b u f <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> s - b u g <return>

Recent messages:
Deleting article 33653 in emacs-bugs
Deleting article 33654 in emacs-bugs
Deleting article 33655 in emacs-bugs
Deleting article 33656 in emacs-bugs
Deleting article 33657 in emacs-bugs
Deleting article 33658 in emacs-bugs
Expiring articles...done
Auto-saving...done
Matching buffer contents...
Computing completion candidates... [2 times]

Load-path shadows:
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/.el-get/package/elpa/vline-20120108.1245/vline hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/.el-get/vline/vline
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/.el-get/full-ack/.dir-locals hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/.el-get/el-get/.dir-locals
/home/nix/lisp/defaults hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/defaults
/home/nix/lisp/emacs/site-wide/site-start hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start
/home/nix/lisp/emacs/site-wide/default hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/default
/home/nix/lisp/emacs/site-wide/scroll-in-place hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/scroll-in-place
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/el-get/recipes/emacswiki/ange-ftp hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3.50/lisp/net/ange-ftp
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/.el-get/full-ack/.dir-locals hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3.50/lisp/gnus/.dir-locals
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emms/tq hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3.50/lisp/emacs-lisp/tq

Features:
(shadow emacsbug face-remap nndoc misearch multi-isearch mailalias nnir
qp gnus-picon gnus-cite shr-color color shr browse-url gnus-async
gnus-bcklg gnus-salt gnus-dup gnus-ml gnus-topic mm-archive url-http
url-gw url-cache url-auth url-handlers nndraft nnrss xml gnus-agent
gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual gnus-msg utf-7 gnutls nnimap
parse-time utf7 nnmh nnfolder gnus-cache bbdb-gnus bbdb-snarf epa-file
epa derived epg netrc gnus-demon nntp dot-gnus-mail gnus-registry
registry dot-gnus-splits nnmairix nnml mm-url smtpmail gnus-art mm-uu
mml2015 epg-config mm-view mml-smime smime dig dot-gnus-articles
dot-gnus-sa background gnus-sum nnoo gnus-group gnus-undo nnmail
mail-source dot-gnus-bbdb dot-gnus-colourization tc mail-extr gnus-start
gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range gnus-win gnus gnus-ems nnheader server
semantic/texi tex-info texinfo semantic/imenu semantic/sb
semantic/tag-file semantic/db-file data-debug cedet-files
semantic/bovine/c semantic/decorate/include hideif semantic/bovine/c-by
semantic/lex-spp semantic/bovine/gcc semantic/dep semantic/bovine
semantic/analyze semantic/sort semantic/scope semantic/analyze/fcn
cc-langs generic ede/emacs vc-git checkdoc eldoc elisp-slime-nav etags
ede/dired jka-compr compilation-recenter-end-autoloads
compile-bookmarks-autoloads fold-dwim-autoloads fringe-helper-autoloads
image+-autoloads image-dired+-autoloads iresize-autoloads
inflections-autoloads mv-shell-autoloads vline-autoloads
yasnippet-bundle-autoloads site-default two-column icicles icicles-mode
bookmark+ bookmark+-key crosshairs col-highlight vline hl-line+ hl-line
bookmark+-1 bookmark+-bmu bookmark+-lit bookmark dired+ dired-x
dired-aux mb-depth+ mb-depth icicles-cmd2 icicles-cmd1 icicles-mcmd
doremi icicles-fn icicles-var apropos-fn+var icicles-opt fuzzy-match
el-swank-fuzzy levenshtein fuzzy cus-theme hexrgb icicles-face dot-emacs
dot-emacs-emacs savehist xemacs-compat add-log misc init-music
network-stream starttls tls emms-volume emms-volume-amixer emms-history
emms-bookmarks emms-metaplaylist-mode emms-browser sort
emms-playlist-sort emms-last-played emms-playing-time emms-stream-info
emms-streams emms-mode-line emms-cache emms-info later-do
emms-playlist-limit emms-playlist-mode emms-player-mpd tq
emms-player-simple emms-source-playlist emms-source-file emms
emms-compat init-message-modes ede/cpp-root bbdb-expire bbdb-hooks
bbdb-com silly-mail sendmail message rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mailabbrev mail-utils gmm-utils mailheader init-time-tracking
timeclock-visualize sgml-mode url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand
url-methods url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util mailcap
auto-edit-substitute init-prog-modes init-prog-modes-emacs filecache
diminish paren inversion semantic/db-global semantic/symref/global
semantic/symref semantic/db-find semantic/db-ref cedet-global
semantic/mru-bookmark semantic/db-mode semantic/db
semantic/decorate/mode semantic/idle srecode/mode semantic/senator
semantic/format semantic/ctxt semantic/wisent semantic/wisent/wisent
semantic/decorate pulse srecode/insert srecode/filters srecode/args
srecode/find srecode/map srecode/ctxt semantic/tag-ls semantic/find
srecode/compile srecode/dictionary srecode/table ede/speedbar ede/files
ede ede/base ede/auto ede/source eieio-base eieio-speedbar speedbar
sb-image ezimage dframe eieio-custom auto-complete-config auto-complete
popup yasnippet-bundle dropdown-list yasnippet assoc cwarn srecode
semantic/util-modes semantic/util semantic semantic/tag semantic/lex
semantic/fw mode-local cedet htmlfontify cus-edit cus-start cus-load
compile-bookmarks compile git-gutter-fringe fringe-helper git-gutter
gtags gpicker ffap url-parse url-vars font-latex latex edmacro kmacro
tex-style tex cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles
cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs miniedit wide-n icomplete+ icomplete
menu-bar+ apropos+ apropos help-fns+ help+ frame-fns avoid easy-mmode
info+ thingatpt+ thingatpt mouse3 naked undo-tree diff site-start-load
gawd-keys finder finder-inf find-func gawd-keys-emacs gawd-navigation
ace-jump-mode gawd-mode-frobs gawd-mode-frobs-emacs windmove tramp-cache
tramp-sh recentf tree-widget wid-edit mv-shell printing ps-print ps-def
lpr uptimes bbdb timezone timeclock term disp-table ehelp electric tramp
tramp-compat auth-source eieio eieio-core gnus-util mm-util mail-prsvr
password-cache tramp-loaddefs trampver shell pcomplete comint ansi-color
hideshow filladapt gawd-faces gawd-faces-emacs nix-dark-theme gawd-misc
gawd-misc-emacs which-func imenu winner time-date gawd-lists
bbdb-autoloads magit-autoloads desktop frameset generic-x uniquify time
scroll-in-place site-start-emacs site-autoloads .loaddefs image-dired+
byte-opt image-dired format-spec advice warnings el-get cl-macs gv
el-get-autoloads el-get-list-packages el-get-notify help-mode
el-get-dependencies el-get-build el-get-status pp el-get-recipes
el-get-byte-compile el-get-methods el-get-fossil el-get-svn
el-get-pacman el-get-github-zip el-get-github-tar el-get-http-zip
el-get-http-tar el-get-hg el-get-git-svn el-get-fink el-get-emacswiki
el-get-http el-get-emacsmirror el-get-github el-get-git el-get-elpa
el-get-darcs el-get-cvs el-get-bzr el-get-brew el-get-builtin
el-get-apt-get el-get-custom el-get-core autoload help-fns lisp-mnt
bytecomp byte-compile cconv cl cl-loaddefs cl-lib dired info
auctex-autoloads tex-site package emms-auto w3m-load ring filesets
easymenu flash-paren saveplace tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt
fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode prog-mode register page
menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer nadvice
loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process dbusbind inotify
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting x-toolkit x
multi-tty emacs)

-- 
NULL && (void)