Subject: 24.3.50; show-paren-mode highlights parentheses in minibuffer password prompts

From: Nicolas Semrau <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 08 Dec 2013 11:22:44 +0100

emacs -q

M-x show-paren-mode

M-x eshell or M-x shell

Enter a command that triggers a dotted password prompt in the
minibuffer, e. g. su or sudo.

When you type a password containing matching or non-matching parentheses
into the prompt: show-paren-mode kicks in and highlights the
character(s) that represent the (non-)matching parentheses.  This makes
the "secret" input a bit less secret.

Expected behaviour: show-paren-mode should not highlight parentheses in
a secret minibuffer string.

In GNU Emacs 24.3.50.3 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.10.6)
 of 2013-12-08 on bluelight
Bzr revision: 115417 [email-masked]
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11404000
Important settings:
  value of $LC_MONETARY: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LC_TIME: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_US.utf8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
C-x b s c r <tab> <return> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> 
<down-mouse-2> <mouse-2> C-x C-e M-x r e p o r t - 
e m <tab> <return>

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Mark set

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message format-spec rfc822 mml
easymenu mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils time-date tooltip electric uniquify
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd
fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar
mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev
minibuffer nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process
dbusbind gfilenotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)