Subject: iso-transl: expand towards ISO 10646 from just ISO 8859-1

From: Ivan Shmakov <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Dec 2013 20:29:43 +0000

Package:  emacs
Severity: wishlist

	As currently implemented, C-x 8 (iso-transl-ctl-x-8-map) is a
	rough equivalent of a compose key, pre-loaded with a number of
	combinations for ISO 8859-1 codepoints.  However, I see no
	reason not to go further and provide additional bindings for
	(the superset’s) ISO 10646 ones.  For instance, in addition to
	C-x 8 1 / 2 (½) and C-x 8 3 / 4 (¾), there could easily be C-x 8
	1 / 8 for ⅛ and C-x 8 3 / 5 for ⅗.

	My guess is that everything described [1] as a “vulgar fraction”
	or a sub- or superscript digit can be added to the keymap
	without altering the current bindings, — as well as probably a
	number of other codepoints.

	Personally, I’d rather appreciate bindings to the single (‘ ’)
	and double (“ ”) quotation marks (which I’ve already bound to
	C-x 8 ' [, ] and C-x 8 " [, ] in my ~/.emacs.)

[1] http://unicode.org/Public/UNIDATA/NamesList.txt

-- 
FSF associate member #7257