Subject: Re: bug#16081: Subject: c++-mode indentation "*wedging*"

From: Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2019 19:08:59 +0000

Hello, Stefan.

On Mon, Sep 30, 2019 at 15:31:08 +0200, Stefan Kangas wrote:
> Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]> writes:

> > Craig Steury <[email-masked]> wrote:
> >> Hello, this is bug-report is concerned with indentation in
> >> c++-mode. The symptoms are after some unspecified amount of time/work
> >> indentation becomes "wedged".
> [...]
> > Unfortunately, the first line of the first entry ("c-parse-state
> > inconsistency at L....") has been lost here.  Could it be that this
> > wasn't the first inconsistency, but the *Messages* buffer has overflowed?
> > In this case it can be helpful to set the variable `message-log-max' to t.
> > Only the first report of inconsistency is really useful, since it indicates
> > the point where an internal cache may have become corrupted.

> > To use this debug information, I need the C++ source file.  Is there any
> > chance you could post this?  (Or alternatively, send it to me privately.)
> > The debug output suggests this file may be quite small.  Also, please
> > report explicitly whether or not you were changing the buffer at the time
> > the inconsistency was reported, and if so, how.

> > There's just one thing I'll ask you to try first: there's a known bug
> > triggered by having an open parenthesis/brace/bracket at column 0 inside a
> > comment.  Would you please check your code for this, and if you find such
> > a paren/br/br try removing it to see if the bug then goes away.

> > So, quick summary: please check for that open p/b/b in column 0.  If not
> > found then post (or mail to me) the source file and the very first two
> > "inconsistency" reports, together with details on whether the buffer was
> > being changed.

> More information was requested, but none was given within 6 years, so
> I'm closing this bug report.  If this is still an issue, please re-open
> the bug report.

I think it likely this has been fixed, so closing this bug is the right
thing to do.  There have been no bug reports concerning the pertinent
feature (a certain cache in CC Mode) for a long time, now.

> Best regards,
> Stefan Kangas

-- 
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).