Subject: bug#16078: Extensive docs and tests for `ruby-forward-string' (PATCH)

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 07 Dec 2013 05:22:55 +0200

Hi Cameron,

Cameron Desautels <[email-masked]> writes:

> The attached patch adds extensive documentation and tests to the
> `ruby-forward-string' function.
>
> This may seem an odd function to document thoroughly, but I spent
> quite a while wrapping my head around the exact behavior and I want to
> spare the next person.  It also underlies some important parsing
> functionality in ruby-mode.

Thank you for your effort, but it probably would've been more valuable a
few months ago or earlier.  The ruby-mode that will be released with
Emacs 24.4 has switched to using SMIE for indentation and sexp
navigation by default, and it leaves quite a bit of the old,
undocumented code unused.

Whatever code examples and functionality didn't work for you, have you
tried them with the current trunk?

We can still use the two patches, of course, since the old indentation
engine can still be enabled with `(setq ruby-use-smie nil)', but they
exceed the 15 line limit and will require copyright assignment (AFAIR,
we do require those even for test code).  Have you signed, or are you
willing to sign the copyright assignment papers?