Subject: bug#16064: 24.3.50; emacsclient fails on remote X session

From: [email-masked] (Óscar Fuentes)
Date: Thu, 05 Dec 2013 22:55:26 +0100

After connecting to a machine running emacs as a server, on a remote
xterm:

$ emacsclient -c
Waiting for Emacs...
*ERROR*: Display :1123 can't be opened
$ emacs
<works correctly>
$ echo $DISPLAY
:1123

When `emacsclient -c' is executed on the remote xterm, a local shell
prints:

No protocol specified

In GNU Emacs 24.3.50.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, X toolkit)
 of 2013-12-05 on qcore
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11403000
System Description:	Ubuntu 13.10

Configured using:
 `configure --without-toolkit-scroll-bars --with-x-toolkit=lucid'

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  whitespace-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  flx-ido-mode: t
  ido-hacks-mode: t
  ido-everywhere: t
  evil-leader-mode: t
  evil-paredit-mode: t
  paredit-mode: t
  evil-mode: t
  evil-local-mode: t
  global-undo-tree-mode: t
  undo-tree-mode: t
  global-anzu-mode: t
  anzu-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t

Recent input:
M-x s e r v e r s t a r <return> e m a c s C-g <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <menu-bar> <help-menu> <send-emacs-bug
-report>

Recent messages:
Loading /home/oscar/elisp/ofv-lp0.el (source)...done
Loading /home/oscar/elisp/ofv-wordnet.el (source)...done
Loading /home/oscar/elisp/tkidb.el (source)...
Loading /home/oscar/files/idb-login.el (source)...done
Loading /home/oscar/elisp/tkidb.el (source)...done
Loading /home/oscar/elisp/ofv-org.el (source)...done
Loading /home/oscar/elisp/.emacs...done
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Restarting server
progn: End of buffer
Quit [2 times]

Load-path shadows:
~/elisp/magit/.dir-locals hides /home/oscar/dev/emacs/emacs/lisp/gnus/.dir-locals
~/elisp/evil/lib/ert hides /home/oscar/dev/emacs/emacs/lisp/emacs-lisp/ert

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug sendmail whitespace etags-select etags
org-crypt lp0-mode paren paredit-menu yasnippet help-mode psvn wid-edit
pp elp vc-git org-magit org org-macro org-footnote org-pcomplete
org-list org-faces org-entities noutline outline org-version
ob-emacs-lisp ob ob-tangle org-src ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-keys ob-exp
ob-comint ob-core ob-eval org-compat org-macs org-loaddefs find-func
cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs magit-key-mode magit view iswitchb
pcomplete esh-var esh-io esh-cmd esh-opt esh-ext esh-proc esh-arg eldoc
esh-groups eshell esh-module esh-mode esh-util ediff-merg ediff-wind
ediff-diff ediff-mult ediff-help ediff-init ediff-util ediff dired-x
dired grep compile comint epa epg epg-config diff-mode ansi-color
git-rebase-mode rx git-commit-mode server log-edit message format-spec
rfc822 mml easymenu mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse
rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mailabbrev mail-utils gmm-utils
mailheader pcvs-util add-log flx-ido warnings flx ido-hacks ido
ace-jump-mode evil-leader evil-paredit paredit evil evil-integration
evil-maps evil-commands ffap url-parse auth-source eieio byte-opt
bytecomp byte-compile cconv eieio-core gnus-util mm-util mail-prsvr
password-cache url-vars evil-types evil-search evil-ex evil-macros
evil-repeat evil-states evil-core evil-common undo-tree derived diff
windmove rect evil-digraphs evil-vars ring edmacro kmacro diminish anzu
easy-mmode cl-macs gv thingatpt cl cl-loaddefs cl-lib
solarized-light-theme solarized-dark-theme solarized package advice
help-fns time-date tooltip electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt
fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode prog-mode register page
menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer nadvice
loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process gfilenotify
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting x-toolkit x
multi-tty emacs)