Subject: 24.3.50; Running curses applications under term and ansi-term is broken

From: Matthew Leach <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Dec 2013 10:17:15 +0000

Hi,

When I run curses applications (such as htop and Linux's "make
menuconfig") in term and ansi-term the window's width appears to be
detected incorrectly. This causes curses to emit lines that are too long
for the window and thus Emacs spans them over more than one line. This
quickly makes the terminal output unreadable. Note, this is a visual
observation, I haven't looked at the code.

Recipe:

emacs -Q
M-x term
<ret>
htop

Thanks,
Matt

In GNU Emacs 24.3.50.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.10.5)
 of 2013-12-05 on matt-laptop
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11404000
Configured using:
 `configure --prefix=/home/matthew/Development/emacs/install'

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_GB.utf8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
<help-echo> M-x r e p r <backspace> o r t - e m <tab> 
<return>

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message format-spec rfc822 mml
easymenu mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils time-date tooltip electric uniquify
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd
fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar
mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev
minibuffer nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process
dbusbind gfilenotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)